JAMES A. TOWN, farmer, sec. 18, Sherman Township, is a son of Elias and Almira (Lewis) Town, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of New York. He was born in Pittsford, Hillsdale Co., Mich., Oct. 27, 1849. He came with his parets to Newaygo Co., and lived at home until 1872. Dec. 8, of that year, he was married to Miss Belle Hall, daughter of Obed and Nancy (Brown) Hall, who was a native of Muskegon Co., Mich., born in 1855; and their four living children are, James A., Leota B., Lula E. and Leo G.; one is deceased.
Mr. Town purchased 40 acres of wild land in the winter of 1873, and lived on it till the spring of 1880, when he sold out and bought 80 acres on section 18, where he now resides, and has 15 acres under cultivation. In politics Mr. Town is independent.