JOHN W. TUCKER, farmer, section 34, Big Prairie, was born at Hamilton, ONtario, Aug. 26, 1819, and is the son of Joseph C. and Sarah (Cady) Tucker. The father is a native of New York and was born about 1783, and died in 1838. The mother was born in New York about the same year as her husband, and died in 1838. Both were of English extraction.
Mr. Tucker remained at home until he was 12 years old, and in 1831 came to Lapeer Co., Mich. He stayed there two years and returned to the Dominion. Two years afterward he came back to Michigan, stayed a year and again returned to Canada, where he resided eight years. In 1855 he came to Decatur, Van Buren County, where he stayed two years, and then bought 120 acres of land in Big Prairie, where he has made a permanent settlement. the tract of land of which he became proprietor was in its original condition, untouched by the hand of man. He has made good use of his time and energies, and has placed 40 acres under good improvements and advanced cultivation. In political affiliation he is a Republican.
Mr. Tucker was first married in Waterloo, Ont., in 1840, to Harriet Smith. She died Sept. 20, 1880, on the farm in Big Prairie. Mr. Tucker was married a second time in January, 1881, to Mrs. Jane McMicken. There is no child by either marriage. Of her former marriage, Mrs. Tucker has five children, as follows: William John, James, Ellen, Samuel and Maggie Jane.