ADONIJAH E. UPTON, was born in Adrian, Mich., Nov. 29, 1837. His parents were Henry and Cynthia (Weaver) Upton, the former a native of Massachusetts and the latter of New York. They first settled in North Adams, Mass., and afterward came to Adrian, where they lived 26 years. In 1855 they came to Newaygo County, where the father died, in 1866; the mother is still living, in this county.
Mr. Upton came to this county with his parents, where he still remains a resident, and is older in business than any other man in Fremont. He has dealt largely in real estate and still continues that business. He is also engaged extensively in farming and lumbering. He was married in Dayton Township, JUly 1, 1867, to Helen L., daughter of William and Lovilla B. Morton, residents of Dayton, who was born in New York, April 23, 1845, and they are the parents of four children: Ada L., Ralph E., Mary B. and William H.
Mr. Upton has held the office of Treasurer of the old town of Fremont two years, Clerk one year, and has been Notary Public nearly all the time since 1859. He was formerly third Master of Pilgrim Lodge, No. 180, F.&A.M., and was the first Secretary of the Lodge, two years. He represented this county in the Grange Convention held at the new capitol, at Lansing; was County Surveyor eight years. He was agent of the Empire Land Company five years, commencing when the population of Fremont was 150. In 1870 he was a partner with S. C. Hall, of Muskegon, in building a section of the Ionia & Mackinaw State Road, but, owing to the illness of Mr. Hall, Mr. Upton managed the business alone for several months. He built the bridge at the crosiing of the Muskegon River, and a little town has sprung up at this point which bears the name Upton. He surveyed the village of Reed City, and many other villages and city additions. He has been School Director six years, and a member of the School Board four years. He was largely interested in the organization of the Patrons' Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and was its Secretary four years. The company had at risk over $700,000 when it went out of his hands. He was an active worker in organizing the Patrons' Co-operative Company, was made its Vice-President and manager, and a large and successful business was done so long as he had charge of its affairs. Mr. Upton is emphatically a man of business and a business man. His mind is comprehensive in its range, yet grasps the minutest details. He persistently inquires until the whole subject is open before him, and then adjusts his plans.
Himself and wife are attendants at the Disciples Church, of which Mrs. Upton is a devoted member. He was also a Trustee of the M.E. Church about six years. Politically, he was formerly a Republican, but lately has voted with the National party.