William A. Anderson, farmer and miller, section 36, Denver Township, is a son of James F. and Catherine (Forbes) Anderson, natives of Ontario, Can., and was born Dec. 12, 1840, in Wellington County, in that dominion. He was educated in the select schools of his native county, and during the summer seasons worked on his father's farm, principally, until 20 years of age, when he entered the employ of Dr. C. Beadle, of St. Catherines, as retail agent, serving six months, then as collector for the same firm, in the nursery business, until 1863. His travel was extended over various portions of the Province.
Mr. Anderson then came to this county and settled in Denver Township, where he was very extens-
ively engaged in lumbering, disposing of many thousand feet of lumber annually, until 1878, when
he turned his attention to fanning. He has 80 acres of fine land, of which 40 are improved. Dec. 25, 1864, he was married in Denver village, to Mrs. Phebe (Stone) Barnhard, daughter of Aaron and
Amanda (Dickson) Stone, natives of Connecticut. She was born in Litchfield County, Sept, 10, 1840.
When she was 13 years old her parents moved to De Kalb Co., Ind., and lived three years, thence to this State, locating in Denver Township, where she lived until her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have had six children: Delos G., born Feb. 10, 1867; Carrie, Feb. 19, 1869; Nellie, Nov. 15, 1872; Addie, Jan. 3, 1874; Willie B., born March 12,1878, died Nov. 16, 1881; Albert G., June 22, 1880. Mrs. A. had one child by a former marriage: Ocelia, born Aug. 19,1860, and died April 3, 1863. Mr. Anderson is a member of the Masonic Lodge, No. 180, Fremont, and is devoted to the Republican party.