||Walter L. Whipple
Walter L. Whipple, farmer, section 12, Monroe Township, was born Feb. 9, 1835, in Genesee Co., NY, and is a son of William M. and Sarah A. (Thompson) Whipple, the former a native of Pennsylvania, the latter of New York.
Mr. Whipple was bred to the vocatin of farmer, and in 1864 came to Michigan with his father, locating in Ingham County. He enlisted in the late war of 1861, in the 5th Reg., NY, Vol. Inf. Co. E., and served nine months; was discharged in consequence of disability.
After receiving his discharge from the service of the United States he went to Lansing, MI, and studied dentistry with Dr. Lanterman some years, but finally abandoned his purpose of making that his business in life, and in the autumn of 1869 purchased 80 acres of land in Monroe Township, on which he practiced amateur farming and has gradually increased his landed estate until he now owns 600 acres, all situated in the township of Monroe.
Mr. Whipple was married in Ingham County, June 14, 1869, to Alice E., daughter of Randolph W. and Claramon (Harmon) Whipple, natives of the state of New York.
Mr. Whipple is a Republican in political affiliation, and has served his townsmen as Treasurer and Justice of the Peace.
Return to Home Page
Return to Pioneers