"George" Washington Seaman, farmer, section 15, Ashland Township, was born in Cattaraugus Co., NY, May 16, 1834. His parents, John and Lucretia (Willis) Seaman, were natives of New York and Massachusetts, of English and German descent. They came in 1842 to Hillsdale Co., Mich., where the father managed a farm ten years, during which time the son devoted all his spare moments to obtaining such education as the times and circumstances permitted.
His parents again decided to change their location and fixed on Casnovia as a desirable point, where they went in the fall of 1852.
Mr. Seaman remained with his parents until 1854, when he went to Mecosta County and located on a farm containing 80 acres in the vacinity where now stands the beautiful city of Big Rapids, engaged in farming and extensive prosecution of lumber interests. In the spring of 1867, he returned to Casnovia and operated there until the summer of 1870, when he came to Newaygo County. He located on 80 acres of heavily timbered land, where he has since devoted his time and energies to clearing and otherwise improving a home. His place is finely located and his recently constructed house cost about $1,500.
He was married Aug. 30, 1856, in Casnovia, to Sarah M., daughter of Drayton and Sophronia (Loomis) Moore, natives of Ohio. The daughter was born, Aug. 25, 1840, in Portage Co., Ohio. Her parents removed to DeKalb Co., Ind., when she was six years old, removing eight years later to Casnovia, where she continued her efforts to secure an education in the common schools until she was married.
Mr. and Mrs. Seaman are held in high esteem in their community as energetic, enterprising, valuable members of society. Both are members of the Baptist Church in full and regular standing. Their seven children are all living, born as follows: Arthur E., Dec. 29, 1858; Julia C., Aug. 30, 1860; Ella N., July 26, 1863; Martin L., April 5, 1867; Frank R., Feb. 4, 1871; Milton M., Nov. 18, 1872; Effie D., April 11, 1880.
Mr. Seaman is an adherent of the Republican party and a fearless advocate of the prohibition movement. He is present Township Clerk, and has held the position of Supervisor and other offices. He belongs to Grange No. 545, P. of H., at Ashland Center.