WILLIAM A. WEBBER, banker at Fremont, was born in Stueben Co., N.Y., May 27, 1853. His parents, Samuel W. and Mariette (Bowen) Webber, were natives of Vermont and New York respectively. They first settled in Steuben Co., N.Y., where Mr. Webber, Sr., was engaged in farming. They came to Michigan in the spring of 1856 and settled in Portland, Ionia County, where the father now resides; the mother is deceased. In early youth, William A. attended the common schools, and during the winter of 1869-70 attended Olivet College, in Eaton Co., Mich. Soon after graduating he entered the banking house of S. W. Webber & Company, in Muir, Ionia County, as book-keeper, where he remained nearly three years. His house owned a controlling interest on the First National Bank, and soon closed their private bank, and William entered the former as book-keeper. He continued there but a short time, when he left the bank and engaged in farming for about two years, then entered the banking house of Webber, Just & Company as cashier, and remained two years. May 15, 1882, he came to this county and settled in Fremont, where he opened the bank of Webber, Hewitt & Company.
He was married in Lyons, Ionia County, Sept. 7, 1873, to Abby B., daughter of Gabriel and Mary Trefry, natives of Nova Scotia, who came to Michigan about 1852 and settled in Lyons, where they now reside. Mrs. Webber was born in INgham Co., Mich., March 7, 1855. Mr. and Mrs. Webber have two children: Murdo J., born Oct. 22, 1877, and John M., Feb. 14, 1883. Mr. W. is a Republican in politics.