WILLIAM M. WHEELER, farmer and mechanic, section 29, Grant Township, was born in Fleet, Province of Quebec, Dec. 14, 1835. His parents, Henry and Eliza (Williams) Wheeler, were of English and French descent, and natives of New York. In 1839 they removed to Elyria, Ohio, and six years after to Grand Rapids, Mich.
Mr. Wheeler enlisted at Grand Rapids, Aug. 9, 1861. His command was assigned to the Army of the Potomac, and he was in service of the United States until Jan. 21, 1862, when he was honorably discharged on account of disability. In May, 1863, he went to Albion College, where he devoted two years to the study of such branches as were best adapted to the foundation of a solid education. He continued to pursue his course of advanced study until the spring of 1871, when he returned to Grand Rapids.
He was married Oct. 5, 1873, to Emma R., daughter of Elisha and Mahala (Wilkinson) Mutchler. The parents and daughter were born in Pennsylvania, the birth of the latter occurring May 31, 1856. Her father died when she was an infant, and her mother moved with her family to Wisconsin, and five years later to Grand Rapids, where she died in 1869, and where the daughter resided until her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler remained in the latter city three years, when they went to Alpine, Kent County, and soon after came to Grant, Newaygo County. They located in November, 1877, on 40 acres of wild land, to which they have added ten acres by subsequent purchase, and have 17 acres improved. To them have been born two children: Francis L., Nov. 9, 1876, and Henry W., July 31, 1873.
Mr. Wheeler gives his support to the Greenback party, and is the present clerk of Grant; has held other important offices.