WILBER T. WHITE, farmer, section 21, Ashland Township, was born March 20, 1846, in Walker Tp., Kent Co., Mich. His parents, Milo and Mercy (Ford) White, were born in New York and Vermont respectively. In early life they went to Ontairo, Can., where they were married, and immediatley after that event they located in Walker Township. It was about the year 1832, when Grand Rapids consisted of two Indian trading posts, and Mr. White built the first saw-mill north of the present site of the city. He was pominent in social and official circles, and operated extensively in lumber and as an agriculuralist in Kent County until 1864, when he came to Newaygo County and purchased 160 acres of land on section 21, in Ashland Township, whither he removed his family after preparing for them a comfortable and suitable home. Here he spent the balance of a useful, hoonorable and well-ordered life, occupying positions of prominence and influence in Church and society until his death, Feb. 24, 1873. He left a memory that is still cherished by those who knew him, and honored and brightened by the four children who survive him. Mercy (Ford) White, his wife died Nov. 19, 1865, after a long and distressing illness, which made her an invalid during many years, and called for the exercise of patience and endurance, such as characterized the wives and mothers of the pioneer class to which she worthily belonged.
Mr. White passed the early years of his life as a laborer on his father's farm and obtained his education. He accompanied his parents to Ashland Township in 1865, and on his father's death succeeded to the proprietorship of 80 acres of the homestead, where he is engaged in prosperous and practical farming. He was married Feb. 23, 1874, in Newaygo to Eva A., daughter of William and Polly (Bigsby) Whittington, natives of New York. Mrs. White was born in Eaton Co., Mich., May 17, 1854. Her parents removed to Casanovia, Muskegon County, when she was four years old. She was an eager student and made the best use of her educational opportunities, entering the profession of teaching at 15 years of age and continuing to follow it until her marriage. The two children of Mr. and Mrs. White were born as follows: Elsie A., May 15, 1875, and Bertha L., March 10, 1877. Mr. White is an active Republican and has officiated in the local offices of his township. He is secretary of Lodge No. 362, I.O.O.F., at Ashland Center.