Shiawassee County MIGenWeb logo USGenWeb logo
HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census   Help   History Military Misc. Obituaries People and
Families
Queries Vital
Records

Biographies
A

This page contains biographical sketches (full or extract) of former Shiawassee County residents.
Souce citations (pre-1923) are included with the sketch.



Peter S. ACKERSON ** John ACKROYD ** Ira E. ANGUS Edward B. ANTHONY ** Catherine A. APPLEMAN ** Daniel ARTHUR ** Elmer S. ATHERTON **


Peter S. ACKERSON

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 221

The quiet annals of the lives of our farming people do not read like an exciting story of adventure, but they form a more substantial foundation for a belief in the present wellbeing and the future prosperity of our nation. We are always pleased to give the details of an industrious, honorable life, which has made the quiet virtues of industry and perseverance shine forth more brightly than before. Such a life was that of the one whose name appears at the head of this sketch. Though not a native of this state, all of his maturer years were connected most closely with its growth and development, and he was one of the honored citizens of Caledonia township.

Peter S. Ackerson was born at Phelps, Ontario county, New York, July 9, 1832. He was the son of P. P. and Emma (Hull) Ackerson, natives of New York. The father died at the age of eighty-two years and the mother also at that age, two years after the death of her husband.

Our subject acquired his early education in the district schools of his native state and lived on the farm with his parents until he attained to his majority, when he went to California, where, for three years, he was engaged in mining. After this experience he went back to New York and was married to Catherine Evendon. In 1860 they came to Michigan and settled in Caledonia township, on one hundred and sixty acres of 221 land which Mr. Ackerson had bought and which was partly cleared, though it had no buildings. Here he built the primitive dwelling which was his first home in Michigan. To this union four children were Sorn: Archie and Emma, twins, are both married and live in Colorado; Anna is the wife of Floyd Bernet, a grocer of Corunna; and Minnie is now Mrs. Ed. Traphagan, of Linden, Michigan. In February, 1865, the wife and mother of this family died, leaving the four small children.

November 14, 1866, our subject was again married, to Mrs. William Van Dyne, who was born in Maine, November 24, 1842, and who is now living on the old homestead. She is a daughter of Joshua and Hulda (Howard) Lake, natives of Maine, the father having been born in 1810 and the mother in 1811. Mr. Lake was a farmer and removed to New York about 1846, there remaining until 1866, when he moved to Oakland county, Michigan, where he lived until his death, at the age of sixty-two years. His wife died at the age of sixty-three years.

Mrs. Ackerson is one of a family of eight children, of whom four are living: Chana Lake lives in Oakland county; Eben lives on the old home in New York; Mrs. Ackerson now resides on the old homestead in Shiawassee county; and Mary is now Mrs. Brown and resides in Oakland county. One brother, Uriah Lake, lived and died in Oakland county and at the time of his death he was supreme president of the Patrons of Industry of North America. He. taught school for twenty-two years in New York. Another brother, George Lake, was a member of the Twenty-second Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry, and died at New Orleans, from exhaustion caused by marching.

To Mr. and Mrs. Ackerson were born four children: Arville, now Mrs. L. Baldwin, resides at Corunna, and her husband is a contractor; Ray married Dora Jacobs and lives in Detroit, where he is employed by the Grand Trunk Railroad Company as cashier; George married Carrie Allerton and' lives on a part of the old farm; and Katie is the wife of Roy Bailey, a farmer in Caledonia.

From the year 1860 our subject had a continuous residence on the farm, and as he prospered he added to his possessions until he owned three hundred acres of good farming land. In the year 1877 the old house was replaced by a large modern, brick house, which at that time was the finest structure in the township. The large barn was built in 1865.

Mr. Ackerson affiliated with the Democracy and filled the offices of justice of peace and highway commissioner for several years. The later years of his life he was in poor health, suffering from sciatic rheumatism, which caused his death. He was buried, 'on the fortieth anniversary of the day upon which he came to this county, in the township cemetery, which was formerly a part of his farm. Mrs. Ackerson has erected a fine monument to the memory of her deceased husband.

Although Death has laid his chill hands upon the heart of Mr. Ackerson, there is still living the spirit which marked each act of his daily life with nobility and beauty.

Top of Page

John ACKROYD

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 222

This gentleman is a native of England, as were his parents before him. He was born in Wilsden, Yorkshire, England, February 27, 1855. He is a son of John and Mary (Moore) Ackroyd, both of whom were born in the same place as was their son,-the former April 6, 1827, while the latter was about two years younger Lhan her husband. They were married in England and came to America in 1857, first locating in Hamilton, Canada. The father was a blacksmith and helped to build the first locomotive ever run on the Grand Trunk Railroad. He afterward bought one hundred acres of land in Lambton county, Canada, and lived on the same for thirty-seven years. He then sold the farm and has since lived with his children. Our subject's parents are both living and are at present with a daughter in Oklahoma. They became the parents of eight children, seven of whom are living: Jonas was drowned in a water tank in Market Square, Hamilton, when nine years old; Alice married A. H. Whittaker, of Middlebury township; John is the subject of this sketch; Annie married Washington Walker, and they live in Sabetha, Kansas; Eva is Mrs. Fancher, of that place; Lydia married Edgar Belyea and they live in Guthrie, Oklahoma; Martha is Mrs. A. Degen, of Logan, Iowa; and Mary Hannah is Mrs. Winters and lives on the old Winters hGmestead, in Canada.

Our subject was educated in the schools of Hamilton and lived with his parents until he was twenty-two years of age. He then came to Michigan and worked by the month for one year on the farm of Andrew Sherman, of Sciota township. After this he worked by the day for several years. In the meantime he bought eighty acres of timbered land, in Midland county, Michigan. He cut some timber off this, but never attempted to clear it up or make a home of it. In 1884 he sold it and bought the forty acres on which he now lives. This land had been chopped over, but was full of stumps and brush when he secured it. He first built a small, square frame house, part of which is still standing. He has improved all the land and has it under a high state of cultivation. Although a small place Mr. Ackroyd works it well and makes it pay, thus illustrating the fact that a small farm well worked is far more profitable than a large one poorly looked after. He does a great deal of what is known as truck farming and also fruit growing. He has added to the original home until it is one of the best in the township. He has a large red barn and other fine buildings, the whole making the place a model one in every respect. This farm was purchased from A. H. Whittaker, his b'rotherin-law, who formerly owned it and also eighty acres on the north.

Mr. Ackroyd was married in 1883 to Orpha Albright, a native of Lincoln county, Canada, where she was born June 5, 1860. Her parents were Isaiah and Barbara Albright. Her father died two years ago and the mother passed away when Mrs. Ackroyd was quite young. The latter is one of a family of seven children, all of whom are living, and she is the only one residing in Shiawassee county. The others are as follows: Henry lives in Kent county, Canada; Mrs. Ackroyd was next in order of birth; Agnes lives in Lambton county, Canada; Joshua lives in Kent county, Canada; John lives in Redlands, California; Joseph resides in Tacoma, Washington; Barbara is now Mrs. iMoore, of Kent county, Canada. Four daughters have been born to, Mrs. and Mr. Ackroyd: Harriet \V., aged nineteen years, is single and is a dressmaker at Denver, Colorado; Mary B. is aged seventeen years and is also at Denver, Cclorado; Jessie' M. is thirteen years old and is at home; and Eva A., the youngest, is at home and has seen but five summers. Mr. Ackroyd, in addition to his farm, possesses eighty acres of unimproved land in Owosso township, utilizing the same for pasture. He has always been a Republican, but aspires to no office. He has been county drain commissioner and school treasurer, having held the latter office twelve years. Both he and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He also belongs to the Grange. The whole life of this gentleman seems to exemplify the words of the English earl: "Whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well."

Top of Page

Ira E. ANGUS

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 223

A good citizen is ready to serve his country both in peace and war, and he does serve it alike, whether upon the battle field or in pursuing his usual vocations and by a life of integrity and industry helping to build up the social and industrial interests of the community in which he lives. The reflection of such a life makes the path straighter before the feet of the young and helps to create a public sentiment in favor of straightforward living and mutual helpfulness which is an advantage to the nation.

Among the citizens of Caledonia township none is more truly respected for the record he has made both in peace and war than Ira E. Angus. He was born May 4, 1842, at Tyrone, Livingston county, Michigan, and is the son of Bradley and Mary (Thayer) Angus, natives of the Empire state.

Bradley Angus was born in New York in April, 1817, and died on Christmas day of 1904. His wife, Mary, was born in October, 1817, and died February 13, 1889. They were married in the state of New York and came to Michigan in an early day. Their first home was in Livingston county, where they bought eighty acres of wild land, 'and by dint of hard work and a goodly supply of energy they cleared and otherwise improved the place and here dwelt until 1852. About that time they sold this first home and bought eighty acres of wild land in Caledonia township, Shiawassee county, the same being a part of the farm now owned by C. B. Young. Again they cleared up a tract of land, building first a log house and later a frame dwelling, and this was the home until eighteen years ago, when the father sold the farm and moved to Corunna and later to Chesaning, where he met his death on Christmas day. Bradley Angus was a stanch 'Republican, though not a seeker after place or office. Mrs. Angus was a consistent member of the Baptist church and lived her life in accordance with its precepts.

Nine children came to bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. Bradley Angus, of whom eight are now living: Charles is a farmer residing in Caledonia; Catherine is the wife of G. W. McLain and lives at Durand; the third is our subject; Henry lives in Caledonia township; Lydia is the wife of T. Long, of Durand; Ed is a resident of Caledonia; Ellen is the wife of B. Bristol, of Traverse City; Emma died in infancy.

Ira E. Angus, the subject of this review, acquired his early education in the district schools of Livingston and Shiawassee counties. Two years after the family came to this county, when our subject was but twelve years of age, he went for himself, working on a farm by the month until the year 1863. Our subject enlisted in the Tenth Michigan Cavalry and for two and one-half years was actively engaged in service for the preservation of the Union. During this time he was wounded several times. At Knoxville, Tennessee, he was shot in the arm by an ounce ball, tearing the muscles of the arm loose, the ball entering the side and really making four distinct wounds; again at Jonesville he was shot in lhe other arm, making a slight wound, and still again at Flat Rock, where he received a saber cut on his head. He was sent home from the hospital, after serving the country in its hour of need.

Returning to the peaceful pursuits of farm life, he bought forty acres of wild land where he now lives, and cut the first trees in order to make room for a house. Here he has made his home and as he has been attended by prosperity he has added one hundred and forty acres to the original farm, but has deeded the land to his children, with the exception of eighty acres, which he still retains and manages.

Ira E. Angus was married October 8, 1863, to Melinda Young, who was born August 28, 1847, and who is a daughter of Thomas R. Young, who is mentioned elsewhere in this volume, in the record of the life of his son, Albert Young.

To Mr. and Mrs. Angus have been born two children,-Triphoena Adelaide, born June 25, 1867, became the wife of Frank Foster, who resides in Caledonia; and Cora, born September, 28, 1885, is the wife of Archie Sherrard, a farmer of Caledonia.

In politics Mr. Angus is a Republican, though in no sense an office seeker. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Angus is a man highly spoken of by all who know him and rejoices to commemorate with his comrades the stirring days of the civil war. He is closely allied with the other veterans, on account of their having served their country together in time of trial.

Top of Page

Edmond B. ANTHONY

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 224

The man who can conduct a paying business, whether large or small, at the present time, when competition is great and profits small, would succeed in politics or the professions. The time is past when a man can sit down in his store, transact business with a few customers, sell any kind of goods which he may have in stock, make one hundred per centum profit on each article sold, and in a few years acquire sufficient means to keep him comfortably for the rest of his life. The business man of to-day, if he keeps his head above water, must exercise all the ability used by a statesman or philosopher. The subject of this sketch, Edmond B. Anthony, of Henderson, was born in Oakland county, Michigan, on the 16th of November, 1876. He is a son of A. E. Anthony, who is a respected farmer of Genessee county. His father was born in Oakland county, Michigan, in the year 1854. His mother, Elizabeth (Compton) Anthony, was born in England and is still living with her husband at their home in Genessee county. Of the two children the subject of this sketch is the older. His brother, Alden J. Anthony, is unmarried and is at present engaged in the coal business at Lennon, Shiawassee county, Michigan.

Edmond B. Anthony was educated in the district schools of Genessee county, and by spending the last two years of his school life in the city of Detroit. At the age of seventeen years he commenced his business career,-clerking in a grocery store at Lennon, Michigan. He followed this avocation for three years and then commenced working in a drug store at Mount Rose, where he stayed one year. He then went to Saginaw, Michigan, and took charge of a branch drug store for J. Smith & Son. He managed this business successfully for almost four years, and in May, 1901, after resigning his position with the firm for which he was working, he came to Henderson and purchased the store which he now owns. The stock at that time would not compare with the present one Mr. Anthony possesses. At the time he purchased it there were but few goods and part of them were old and out of date and would not compare in quality with the fine new goods which he has on hand. In connection with the drugs which he carries, he also has a full line of stationery, cigars and tobaccos.

The same year in which he started in business for himself he married Bessie Cronkhite, of Venice township. She was born October 11, 1880, being a daughter of T. L. Cronkhite and Mrs. (Giddley) Cronkhite, estimable and well-to-do people of Venice township. Her mother died a few years ago. Mrs. Anthony was the youngest of three children, the oldest being Celia, now the wife of James Buchanan, of Detroit. The second child died in infancy. There has been one child born to subject and his wife, but they were so unfortunate as to lose it in its infancy.

Mr. Anthony was elected town clerk by the Republican party in 1904 and filled the office with his usual good judgment and business ability. He is a member of the lodges of Maccabees and Modern Woodmen. His past business career leaves but little doubt that he will continue to succeed.

Top of Page

Catherine A. APPLEMAN

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 225

This lady is one of the substantial pioneers of Shaftsburg. She is a native of Woodhull township, where she was born April 14, 1855, before the village mentioned had a corporate existence. Her father, Jeremiah A. Van Riper, was born in the Empire state, June 27, 1823. His parents were Andrew and Kate (Dubois) Van Riper, natives of New Jersey. With them he came to Michigan, the family locating on eighty acres of government land in Lodi township, Washtenaw county. A house and barns were built upon this tract and other improvements made upon it prior to its sale, in 1848. In that year the family residence was transferred to Woodhull township, where Mr. Van Riper had bought three hundred and twenty acres of timbered land from the government. Before his death he added two hundred and forty acres to the original purchase, deeding to Jeremiah A. Van Riper one hundred and sixty acres, part of which tract was improved, and eighty acres of partly improved land to each of his sons-in-law,-J. A. Harper and George Colby. The father of our subject was fundamentally educated in the district schools, and was subsequently graduated in the Saginaw Valley School of Medicine, locating at Hawley, Oakland county. After residing there two years, however, he returned to Woodhull township, where he made his headquarters, but traveled through the country treating his patients chiefly with medicines prepared from herbs and roots. He also sold preparations compounded by himself. November 19, 1847, the doctor injected a tinge of romance into his life, and romance, 'tis said, "is the poetry of literature." In this connection we might add that, Lord Byron, who had as much romance in his experience as any man who ever lived, says:

Parent of golden dreams, Romance!
Auspicious queen of childish joys,
Who lead'st along, in airy dance;
Thy votive train of girls and boys.

As we said, the doctor injected a tinge of romance into his life on the date mentioned,by leading to the hymeneal altar a lady from New York state, who, as an infant, had been rocked,-not "in the cradle of the deep"-but in the same order of domestic cradle as had the gentleman in question, J. A. Van Riper. The fruits of this marriage were two children,-Andrew B. Van Riper and Catharine A., the latter being the immediate subject of this sketch. The former was born in Woodhull township, where Shaftsburg now stands; was educated in the district schools, and when twenty-three years old began life as an independent farmer on the old Thompson homestead, of eighty acres. August 24, 1874, he married Alice R. Baker, of Hawley, and by her had a family of five children, concerning whom record is here entered: Myron A. Van Riper, who was born October 16, 1877, in Woodhull township, and who married Pearl Hoag, is a farmer, owning forty acres in section 13, and is the father of two children,-Munroe, born March 16, 1901, and Arthur Wayland, born September 21, 1904. J. C. Van Riper, who was born April 13, 1889, in Woodhull township, and who is now a boot and shoe merchant in Shaftsburg, married Myra Shaft and has one son, Wayne, born May 15, 1903. Andrew J. Van Riper, Jr., who was born May 25, 1883, married Mary Towsley, of, Shaftsburg, in July, 1902, and died the following August. Pearl S. Van Riper, who was born June 23, 1886, was graduated from the Shaftsburg school in June, 1903, and is now living at home. Archie Van Riper, who was born June 23, 1886, is a student, living at home.

Mrs. Appleman was the second child of J. A. Van Riper, whose death occurred March 24, 1901. He was a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and was much respected for the probity of his life.

The maiden name of Mrs. Appleman's mother was Julia Ann Southwell, and she was a native of New York state, where she was born June 12, 1838. When a child of six years she came to Michigan with her parents, who settled in Lodi township, Washtenaw county. There her father had purchased one hundred and sixty acres, which he subsequently improved. The eight children of the family were as follows: (1) Ezra Southwell, born in New York state; married Harriet Bradley, in Lodi, and both are now deceased. He was proprietor of a farm in Ingham county. Two children survive the parents. (2) Harriet, a native of New York state, became the wife of James Cook, of Lodi, later a farmer of Jackson county. She was the mother of four children, of whom Martha is the only one living, her home being in Omaha, Nebraska; parents dead. (3) Eunice, born in the Empire state, married Andrew Stevens, of Lodi, who moved to Woodhull and bought one hundred and twenty acres of partly improved land; was the mother of seven children, one of whom, Annie Walker, lives on the homestead in Woodhull township; parents dead. The names of the others living are Philander, Sarah Burpree, Jane Kelly, and Josephine. (4) Martha, born in New York state; married Solomon Burlingame, of Lodi, who settled on a partly improved farm -in Woodhull and later removed to Laingsburg, where he died in 1901, and where his widow still lives. She is the mother of three children. (5) Cyrus, born in New York state; married Electa Cook, in Lodi, but removed thence to the village of Grass Lake; four children in the family; both parents dead. (6) Mother of our subject. (7) Eliza, who died at about two years of age, in New York state. (8) Mary, born in New York state; married Daniel Tuttle in Lodi, who removed to Woodhull, where he purchased a farm. They now reside at Perry, retired from the farm. Their daughter, Etha, lives on the old homestead with her husband, John Van Warner.

The subject of this sketch, Mrs. Appleman, received her early education in the schools of Shaftslzurg. December 31, 1870, she was married to Jerome S. Ordway. One daughter, Alice A., was the result of this union, and she was born January 1, 1874, in Shaftsburg. This daughter married William E. Sear, of Mason, May 14, 1902; he is now in the meat business at Flint, Michigan.

Mrs. Appleman was married the second time in December, 1900, at Shaftsburg, where she was united to John Appleman, a substantial citizen of that place. He was a member of the Congregational church and the Order of Maccabees. He died December 19, 1904.

The father of our subject was the eldest of four children. Next to him in age was his sister Ann, who was born in New York state in 1830, and who became the wife of James Harper, of Lodi; removed thence to Woodhull, in 1848, locating with the family on eighty acres of government land, in section 22, which had been taken up by her father, Andrew J. Van Riper. There were four children in the family, of whom Andrew Harper, who was born in Woodhull, lives on the old homestead, his wife being Mary Marsh, a daughter of Joshua Marsh, of Shaftsburg. Benjamin Van Riper, the third child in the family, was a native of Lodi, a farmer; he married Eliza Tower, of Woodhull. They were the parents of two children, of whom Emma is deceased. The son, Frank, is married, has nine children and lives on the old homestead, in Byron, with his widowed mother. Of his children, Ella died young and Della, born in Byron, married John Williams, proprietor of a livery stable in Byron, and is the mother of two children.

The fourth of the family of children, of which Mrs. Appleman's father was the eldest, was Rachel, born in Lodi, and the wife of George M. Colby, a Woodhull farmer who owns eighty acres of improved land on section 22. They have two children,-Charles A. Colby, farmer, with one son, George; the daughter, Elizabeth, married Enoch H. Carl, who is proprietor of eighty acres in section 36; their daughter, Hazel, is attending school at Shaftsburg.

Mrs. Appleman has always been a resident of Shaftsburg. In fact, she is a part and parcel of the little village. Although the owner of the old homestead of eighty acres, she has been living with her mother, Mrs. Julia A. Van Riper, in that village, where she is held in the highest esteem for her good works and noble deeds. She is an active and leading member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs. Van Riper died June 19, 1905, aged 77 years.

Who does the best that circumstances allow,
Does well, acts nobly; angels could do no more.

Top of Page

Daniel ARTHUR

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 229

The people of the state of Michigan owe much to the men who have developed the agricultural resources, raising the standard of grain and vegetable, of live stock and fruit, erecting beautiful buildings and making their farms attractive as well as profitable.

Daniel Arthur, of section 14, Rush township, is one of the men who is entitled to credit for adding his share to the advanced and more prosperous condition of the farmer. He was born at White Lake, in Oakland county, Michigan, on the 12th of October, 1859, being the youngest child of a family of nine. His father, Robert Arthur, was born in Pennsylvania, January 17, 1813, and died in Clinton county, Michigan, in 1874. His mother previous to her marriage was a Miss Martha White, and she likewise was born in Pennsylvania. She was a few years younger than her husband, to whom she was married in the state of Pennsylvania. She died November 25, 1891. Shortly after Mr. Arthur's father and mother were married they moved to Oakland county, Michigan, where they resided for several years, after which they moved to Woodhull township, Shiawassee county. Here they purchased a farm of eighty acres, unimproved, almost in a state of nature. The father lived on this farm only about four years, when he died, and the family was unfortunately broken up, the mother going to live with her children. The brothers and sisters of Mr. Arthur are: Eliza, wife of James Morris, lives with her son in Ovid; Katherine, wife of Job Sexton, lives in Victor, Clinton county; Samuel, lives in Burns township; Elizabeth J., died at the age of nineteen years; Martha Ann is the wife of Charles Webb, residing at the city of Lansing; Mrs. Andrew Fillinger resides at the village of Henderson; Morris resides at Perry; and Lydia is the wife of Van Velzor, residing in Clinton county.

After the death of his father, Mr. Arthur commenced work on a farm by the month. He was but fourteen years of age, but though only a boy, the courage was in him that marks his manhood, and he was not only able to take care of himself but also to get a fair start in the world. At the age of twenty-one he was united in marriage with Harriet Gardner, the second child of George Gardner, of Saginaw. Mrs. Arthur has the following named brothers and sisters: Jane Gardner; William Gardner, of Eaton county; Rosella Black, of Clinton county; and Mrs. Ida Miller, of Ovid. Mr. and Mrs. Arthur were married July 5, 1880. Shortly after his marriage Mr. Arthur purchased fifty acres of partly improved land, in Clinton county. He lived there about three years, and then disposed of his land and came to Rush township, Shiawassee county, where he purchased fifty acres of improved land, on section 11. This farm he sold in a short time and pur chased his present farm of eighty acres. Mr. and Mrs. Arthur have had seven children born to them and all are living. The oldest, Lena, is the wife of E. W. Convis; Edith, bHorn October 31, 1886, is now Mrs. Baker, of Henderson; Alta, who was sixteen years old in August, 1904, is living at home; Nina, who was fourteen years of age in October, 1904, is living at home; Fern is nine years old since February, 1904; Lou is five years old since December 21, 1905; and Master George was two years old on the 7th of April, 1905.

Mr. Arthur in politics is a Democrat, and has been honored by his fellow townsmen, who have twice elected him clerk, once treasurer, and justice of the peace. He has always been a farmer except for a short time when he was engaged in the hardware business at Oakley. He is a stockholder in the Henderson Butter Companvy a member of the Maccabee Lodge, of which he is chaplain, and a member of the Methodist church. His postoffice address is Henderson.

Top of Page

Elmer S. ATHERTON

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 230

Elmer S. Atherton, a prosperous lawyer of Durand, was born in Genessee county, Mfichigan, on the 11th of September, 1870. He is the third of four children, his parents being E. R. and Alice (Holmes) Atherton. His father, a farmer, is a native of the Empire state, and his mother is an English woman by birth.

Elmer S. received his primary education in the county of his birth, in the schools of Gaines and Fenton, afterward pursuing his professional studies in the office of Judge Frackelton, in the latter village. He was admitted to the bar in 1894, locating at Durand in November of that year, and has since established a substantial and lucrative practice. He is a progressive Republican and has acceptably filled the office of township clerk and village attorney of Durand. He is also a member of the board of education. Mr. Atherton is still comparatively a young man, and other honors and public preferments are unquestionably in store for him. He is actively identified with various secret and benevolent societies, being a member of the Masonic order, Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen and Foresters. In religious belief he is a Congregationalist, and, all-in-all, is a representative of the best type of the modern professional man.

Our subject was married in March, 1896, to Miss Lura Curry, whose father, L. V. Curry, was a well known and respected pioneer of Fenton.

Top of Page

This information is made available to the public for non-commercial purposes.

 

This page was last updated Saturday, 20-Jun-2009 16:20:00 MDT

Home page tab
Copyright 2008-2016, Shiwawassee County MIGenWeb