Shiawassee County MIGenWeb logo USGenWeb logo
HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census   Help   History Military Misc. Obituaries People and
Families
Queries Vital
Records

Biographies
M

This page contains biographical sketches (full or extract) of former Shiawassee County residents.
Souce citations (pre-1923) are included with the sketch.



Edwin McCall ** William McCulloch ** Hugh McCurdy ** Arthur McKay ** George G. Markham ** Joseph Marshall, M.D.
John Y. Martin ** Gershom Woodruff Mattoon ** Selden S. Miner ** Charles H. Mitchell ** James H. Mitchell ** William H. Mitchell
Frank G. Morrice ** William G. Morrice ** Reuben H.B. Morris ** George Mortimore ** Charles B. Munson


Edwin McCALL

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 386

Edwin McCall, a prosperous farmer whose property is situated near the village 'of Shiawassee, is a son of one of the early pioneers of the county, and is a native of Shiawassee township, having been born near where he now lives, on the 30th of June, 1867. He is the son of J. H. McCall, who was born in New York state, on the 8th of October, 1824, and who died June 11, 1888; his widow, Emeline (Johnson) McCall, also is a native of the Empire state, where she was born March 2, 1829, and she now lives with our subject. Her parents were Thomas and Catherine (Hayner) Johnson, and were of German descent. They were born, reared and married in New York state, and came west soon after the birth of their daughter, Emeline, Mr. McCall's mother. She was one of thirteen children, and all but two reached mature years.

The parents of our subject were married at Fayetteville, New York, on the 16th of February, 1854. Of the nine children born to them seven are living. About 1865, they migrated from New York to Michigan, locating in Shiawassee village, where Mr. McCall followed his trade, that of cooper, for the first two years. He then purchased forty acres of wild land, the same tract now occupied by the widow and her son, our subject.. Mr. McCall's father afterward added twenty-five acres to the original purchase, clesared and cultivated his farm and erected the present buildings with the exception of the barn, which has been built since his death.

J. H. McCall, the deceased, was a man of great industry, strict integrity, and much executive ability. Besides improving and profitably managing his farm for a number of years, he successfully conducted a saw mill. To his marked ability he added the faculty of making and retaining friends and customers, which accounts for the steady progress of all the enterprises in which he engaged. He was a voting Democrat, but never aspired to office, and consequently never attained it. In his religious connections, he was an Episcopalian, and he was affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.

Our subject was the ninth of eleven children born to Mr. and Mrs. J. H. McCall. The first, Francis E., is living, his natal day being December 25, 1847. Martha, born June 19, 1850, is deceased. Charles William, the third born December 18, 1854, is living and unmarried. John H. died single, at the age of twenty years. Josephine, now Mrs. G. W. Sparling, born February 29, 1859, is a resident of Oregon. The sixth child, Emeline, born March 1, 1861, is Mrs. DeReese of Chicago. Elizabeth, born August 24, 1854, is the wife of Charles Whitney, of Chicago. Clara E., the eighth of the family of children, was born April 14, 1866, and is Mrs. J. W. Mills, also of Chicago. Nellie, who was born August 18, 1870, lives in Oregon, her brother Chester, born December 18, 1874, the eleventh of the children, also being a resident of that state.

Edwin McCall was educated in the village schools of Shiawassee and has always lived upon a farm. Since his father's death he has actively managed the homestead, having purchased the forty acres known as the Hoisington farm and added it to his mother's place. The combined tract gives him one of the most productive landed estates in the locality.

Mr. McCall is a Republican, but is too busy to be an officeseeker. He is social and domestic in his tastes. Outside of his circle of friends, his social nature finds satisfaction in his connection with a number of secret societies -the Masonic fraternity, Knights of the Maccabees and the Order of the Eastern Star.

Top of Page

William McCULLOCH

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 387

Thanks, thanks to thee, my worthy friend,
For the lesson thou hast taught;
Thus at the flaming forge of life
Our fortunes must be wrought;
Thus on its sounding anvil shaped
Each burning deed and thought.
[Longfellow. "The Village Blacksmith."]

William F. McCulloch was born in the Dominion of Canada, January 8, 1851. He is a son of David and Sarah (Robb) McCulloch, both of whom were born in Scotland. The father died in November, 1891, and the mother is still living. The parents were married in Scotland and shortly afterward removed from there to Canada. There the father followed his trade, that of shoemaker, afterward running a general shoe and repair store. There were eleven children in the family, of whom the following are now living: Agnes, born in Scotland in 1839, married John Smith; Janet, born in 1812, married George Toval, deceased, of Ontario, Canada; Margaret, born in 1843, is the wife of Alexander Stewart, of Ontario, Canada; John, born in 1847, married Kate Clegg; and William F. is the subject of this sketch.

William F. McCulloch received his early education in the district schools of Ontario. When a boy he worked with his father and labored by the day at such employment as he could procure. At the age of eighteen he commenced his three years' apprenticeship at the blacksmith trade, qualifying himself for the business which he has since followed. After his apprenticeship had expired he spent some time in Canada, thoroughly mastering all details of his trade, and becoming a firstclass mechanic. In 1873 he came to the city of Detroit, where he worked for a short time and then removed to the village of Laingsburg, where he opened a shop of his own. He then closed out his 'business in Laingsburg and spent some time in Canada and California, also visiting other sections of the United States. After his return from California, in 1876, he worked one year at his trade in Laingsburg. He then purchased property in the village of Shaftsburg, where he opened a blacksmith shop and where he has since made his home, having made good improvements on his property.

On the 21st of November, 1874, in the village of Laingsburg, Mr. McCulloch was united in marriage with Mary VanWormer. They have six children. John D., born March 13, 1876, is a train dispatcher on the Great Northern Railroad; William G., Jr., born May 11, 1879, is a machinist; Frank A., born April 25, 1881, is a telegraph operator and agent on the Great Northern Railroad; Robert O., born November 21, 1886, is a telegraph operator at Flint, Mich.; Agnes S., born November 20, 1888, and Henrietta E., born October 8, 1892, remain at the parental home.

Mrs. McCulloch is a daughter of Abram VanWormer, one of the old and respected pioneers of Woodhull township. Our subject and his wife are members of the Congregational church. Fraternally Mr. McCulloch is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Knights of the Maccabees. Politically he is a Democrat, and while he has not neglected his business for politics yet he has given the attention required of every good citizen. He has served many years as justice of the peace, and stills holds the office. He has also filled the offices of treasurer, moderator and director of his school district.

Top of Page

Hugh McCURDY

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 388

Marvelous changes coming to the lives of individuals in the brief space of a decade or two have long since ceased to startle the people of this age. A few years often transform the messenger boy into the merchant prince. The day laborer becomes the millionaire, and men hitherto unknown suddenly become leaders in their chosen line of action. Names by the score might be cited to illustrate what has been realized along this line in all the avenues of the activities of men in periods in credibly short. The following interesting sketch of the more prominent events in the life.of Judge McCurdy, taken from "Free Masonry in Michigan," is most complimentary to Corunna's venerable citizen who has won out in the struggle for place and recognition:

"Hugh McCurdy was born in Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland, December 22, 1829. When only eight years of age he emigrated with his parents to the United States, and settled for the time at Birmingham, Michigan, which the people of the east regarded as the very frontier of American civilization. The sturdy Scotch character that has since stood the man in such good stead was apparent even in the tender lad. His first stroke for fortune was made in the humble capacity of cooper's apprentice. He had early learned the lesson of doing with his might whatsoever his hand found to do, and his work as a cooper very soon began to take on those special qualities of excellence which have since peculiarly distinguished all his 'work' in a field with which the readers of this sketch are too well acquainted to render explanation necessary. He worked with unceasing diligence and faithfulness so long as the business in which he was employed gave hope of any good results for the future. It so chanced that certain broad-minded men who were then prominent in that part of the territory had taken note of this sturdy lad, and by their countenance, though he did not ask for pecuniary aid, he found, or rather made, an opportunity to lay the corner stone of an education. With that purpose dominating his every hope, he enrolled himself among the pupils of J. R. Corson, who had a select school at Birningham. While pursuing his rudimentary studies there he attracted the notice of Dr. E. Raynale, who had in some way informed himself of the ambitious student's pluck and perseverance, and who later persuaded him that the law was the field in which he ought to sow his best efforts if he would reap any commensurate harvest. The thought was audacious! To be a lawyer in those days, and to reach that eminence of respectability, starting from the foot with little to back his suit, might have appalled most lads. But not so, Hugh McCurdy. His hardy ancestry, his own indomitable courage and the chance that America gives to every son of toil, were enough for him to begin with, and he began the ascent without a doubt of final triumph. There was within his soul sufficient of the ego to make all possible things seem possible to him, and he very soon gave evidence that he had not overrated his capacity to do and to endure. While yet a student of the law he kept his fortunes moving by divers means. One of his employments was as freight agent, at Birmingham, of the old Detroit & Pontiac Railroad, when strap rails were in vogue and railroading was indeed a primitive science. In 1847 he had so far advanced in general acquirements that he was chosen to teach the village school in Birmingham, and during the following year he held a like employment in the neighboring village of Royal, Oak. In addition to his work of teaching he took up the classics, with C. R. Brownell as guide and tutor. Later, with the little money he had saved out of his scanty salary, he bought the necessary books, and after surmounting what sometimes seemed insuperable obstacles, he found himself actually domiciled at the Romeo Academy. Here was an achievement indeed! Hope gave new strength to ambition's wing, and the now thoroughly aroused student made so good use of his precious academical opportunities that he soon mastered the curriculum and bade adieu to his latest love. His next step was as a regular student in the office of the distinguished law firm of Baldwin & Draper, of Pontiac. In 1854 he was admitted to the bar of Michigan, and his whole life since that crowning event of his tentative period has been marked by successive victories over fortune. It is a part of this personal history that S. Dow Elwood, now cashier of the Wayne County Savings Bank, of Detroit, but in 1854 the leading law stationer of Michigan, sold our subject the nucleus of his fine law library. Mr. Elwood's attention was called to the incident recently. He remembered it perfectly and said to the writer: 'Yes, I sold Hugh his first shelf of law books and took his word that they would be paid for. He was an utter stranger to me, but there was that in his bearing-a frankness and manliness of speech, and altogether a determined, hopeful and confident view of life in what he said and in his manner of saving it-that I never had the slightest doubt of his honesty or of his ultimate ability to pay. I need not say that mine was one of the first debts discharged after clients began to find out the value of his professional services.' "He had, meanwhile, with characteristic foresight, taken 'a long look ahead' and with the extension northward of the railroad, now the Detroit, Grand Haven & Milwaukee, he moved to Corunna, the capital of Shiawassee county, where he has lived continuously since he first pitched his tent there and set up his household goods. He has won material fortune, lives in elegant refinement, still enjoys a lucrative practice, and, so far as one may guess, has little left to be desired in the way of earth's rewards for work well done,-for fidelity to personal and professional trusts, and for genial benevolence that never wearies in the good and kindly offices of humanity.

"Shortly after his removal to Corunna the office of prosecuting attorney became vacant by resignation of the incumbent, and Judge Green appointed young McCurdy to fill the vacancy. In the fall of 1856 he was nominated by the Democratic convention for prosecuting attorney, and was elected by a handsome majo rity. In 1860 he received the nomination of his party for judge of probate, and although the county gave a majority for Lincoln and the Republican state and county ticket, Mr. McCurdy ran more than a thousand ahead of his party vote and was elected by a large majority. He was elected to the state senate in 1864, and immediately took rank as one of the most active and influential members of that body. Although the county of Shiawassee has been a strong Republican county ever since 1856, yet Mr. McCurdy was again elected prosecuting attorney in 1874. For many years he has been a member of the board of supervisors from a strong Republican ward-frequently elected without opposition-both parties nominating him. In 1865 Judge McCurdy established the First National Bank of Corunna, of which he was president-from its organization down to 1873, when he sold out his stock and withdrew from the business.

"Some years ago when his name was before the people in an important and significant political canvas, these words were written of him by a fellow townsman with whose political opinions he had always been at variance: 'The writer of these lines has known Hugh McCurdy intimately for over thirty years and has had every opportunity to judge of his character in all that pertains to the true elements of citizenship. In the profession of the law he stands at the head of the bar, and in scholastic attainments, acquired under the most severe privations, he also takes rank among the foremost. No meritorious person ever applied to him for personal relief and was turned away without assistance; for no man ever had a heart that beat in warmer sympathy with his fellows. Such are the traits and characteristics of Hugh McCurdy, and such are the personal qualifications of this truly self-made man.'

"His Masonic life covers a period of nearly fifty years, he having been initiated in Birmingham Lodge, No. 44, on August 5, 1850. Ten days later he was passed and raised to the degree of Master Mason.

"January 10, 1872, he was elected deputy grand master of the grand lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Michigan. January 17, 1873, he was unanimously elected grand master of the grand lodge, something which had never before occurred. The total number of votes cast was eight hundred and thirty-two. October 2, 1873, he laid the corner stone of rhe new state capitol, at Lansing.

"November 18, 1873, he received the thirtythird degree and was created an honorary member of the supreme council of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite for the northern Masonic jurisdiction of the United States, at Chicago. September 18, 1879, he was appointed grand marshal of the camp of the supreme council, which office he continued to hold until September 27, 1883. September 27, 1883, he was elected and crowned an active member of the supreme council ad vitam.

"August 11, 1892, he was elected, by a unanimous ballot, most eminent grand master of the grand encampment of Knights Templar for the United States of America, at Denver, Colorado, which position he filled for three years, to the satisfaction of the great brotherhood over which he presided.

"The extraordinary scope and character of such a record can scarcely fail to stir a spirit of generous emulation in every true Mason's breast. Perhaps honors like these are reserved for the few, but every faithful man in the order may at least aspire to them. At the very least, so conspicuous and noble an exemplification of loyal service rewarded must be productive of lasting good to Masonry."

Top of Page

Arthur McKAY

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 391

The history of Shiawassee county would not be complete without a sketch of Arthur McKay, who has been a business man of New Lothrop for the last quarter of a century. He was born in Vittoria, province of Ontario, Canada, January 25, 1848. His father, Dr. Adam McKay, was born in Dumfries, Scotland, in 1819. His mother, Janet (Crockett) McKay, was also native of Dumfries, Scotland, where she was born in 1820.

Our subjects parents were married in Scotland, in 1840. The father died at Vittoria, Canada, in 1852, and the mother died at Norfolk, Virginia, in 1899. The father, a physician, practiced medicine one year at Rochester, New York and then removed to Vittoria, Canada, where he continued the practice of his profession until his death. He was educated in the schools of Glasgow and Edinborough, Scotland, and was one of the highly educated men of his time. He spoke six different languages and contributed editorials to many of the scientific journals of Canada.

There were five children, the oldest being Isabella, Mrs. Charles R. Lyons, who died in Chicago. The second is Helen, Mrs. William C. Janes, of Wheeler, Indiana. The third, Mary, is the widow of C. K. Runnells, of Norfolk, Virginia, formerly of New Lothrop. The fourth is the subject of this sketch. The fifth, William, is unmarried and lives in the state of Texas.

In October, 1883, Arthur McKay was united in marriage with Alta Bush, of Hazelton township. She was born December 22, 1862, and is a daughter of Joseph H. and Anna (Parkinson) Bush. Her father and mother were married in Oakland county, Michigan, where the father was born in 1831 and the mother in 1835. They were early settlers of Hazelton township, moving here from Pontiac, where Mr. Bush had been engaged in business. The township at that time was practically a wilderness. Mrs. McKay is the third of four children, the others are Frank, Mrs. Adelbert Tinker and Loretta, the last named having died when but a girl.

Arthur McKay started for himself when but a boy fourteen years of age, and continued in business until August, 1901, when he was compelled to retire, on account of the condition of his health. He began his business career by clerking in a general store in Vittoria, Canada, where he worked until the year 1877, when he came to New Lothrop, where he took up the same vocation. In 1883 he went into partnership with James Viets, in a general store. This partnership continued five years, and was then dissolved, Mr. McKay continuing the business alone. He continued to conduct the business himself until the year 1893, when he formed a copartnership with C. E. Mott, this association continuing two years. He was for thirty-nine years behind the counter in a general store, first as clerk and afterward as owner. His example is worthy of consideration by young men who desire to make a success in life. He learned the business and then followed it persistently until, on account of rheumatic trouble, he was compelled to retire from active store work. At present he does a general real-estate and loan business.

Mr. and Mrs. McKay have two children: Janet, who was born August 9, 1886, is now in a conservatory of music in the city of Detroit; and Maude, born July 23, 1888, is attending school in the home town.

Mr. McKay is a member of the Presbyterian church. His early education was secured in the schools of Vittoria, Canada, but his desire to do something for himself caused him to leave school at an early age and commence his business career.

Top of Page

George G. MARKHAM

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 391

The past fifty years have seen a marked development in all branches of business. The ox cart has given way to the railroad, the scythe to the self-binder and the flail to the threshing machine. The forest has fallen before the strong arm of the farmer, and the log cabins have been replaced by dwellings with modern improvements. It required strong men to subdue the wilderness, but strong men, both in body and character, have accomplished the task.

George G. Markham was born in Oakland county, Michigan, January 15, 1855. His father, Sylvester Markham, was born in Connecticut, in 1817, and died in Hazelton township November 14, 1895. His mother Ftnnie(Pinkham) Markham, was born in England and died in 1878.

Sylvester Markham came to Michigan when about thirty years of age and bought a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, mostly wild, in Oakland county. Here he labored and improved the farm, residing upon it until his death. Before coming to Michigan he went to Canada, where he met and married the wife of his choice. They lived in Canada several years after their marriage, and there some of their children were born. The subject of this sketch is the third of six children. Maria, the oldest, now Mrs. Caleb Poyer, of Harbor Springs, was born in Canada. Mary Ann, the second child, was likewise born in Canada. She is the widow of Lewis Bird, and lives in Saginaw county. Harrison, who was born September 23, 1858, is married and lives in Oakland county. Fannie, now Mrs. Newton Clark, was born June 9, 1865, and resides at Pontiac, Michigan. Ida May, now Mrs. Rodger Clark, was born September 11, 1873, and is living in Huron county.

George G. Markham began working for himself at the age of twenty-one years, finding employment by the day and month upon a farm. He continued at this employment for seven years, and, being a young man of good habits and business ability, at the end of that time he had saved sufficient to purchase forty acres of land where he now lives, in section 29, Hazelton township.

On the 22d of January, 1882, he married Clara Everett, who was born in Oakland county March 5, 1858. She is a daughter of James and Mahala (Lacy) Everett. Mr. Everett was born in the state of Pennsylvania, May 4, 1815, and died February 22, 1897. He came to Oakland county in 1835 and there purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land, which he cleared and improved. Mrs. Everett was born in New Jersey, May 16, 1824, and is still living in Oakland county. They had nine children, of which Mrs. Markham is the seventh. Clarissa Ann is now dead. Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Wiser resides in Oakland county; John J. Everett is living at Ortonville, Michigan; Charles Edward Everett died in his youth. Charles R. Everett resides at Clayton, Genesee county; the sixth child died in infancy; Ada Belle Burt lives in Oakland county; and Sarah died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Markham have one child, Mary Luella, born November 3, 1898.

Some time after his marriage Mr. Markham moved upon the forty acres of land which he had purchased. He built a log house and commenced to clear the land. Over obstacles that would have discouraged a less determined spirit, he triumphed, laying the foundation of his future fortune. He afterward purchased more land, and he now owns one hundred and sixty acres of valuable farming land. He is a Democrat, but has never aspired to or held any office. He is engaged in general farming, which has always been his occupation and of which he has made a success.

Top of Page

Joseph MARSHALL, M.D.

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 392

The profession which represents the beneficent healing art has many noble members whose lives are filled with acts of goodness and whose most strenuous effort is to attain that skill which is necessary in saving life and restoring health. Such a life work raises a man above the sordid motives which actuate many of mankind, and gives to life a meaning which more mercenary callings cannot grant. We are, therefore, always gratified to be able to introduce to our readers the physicians who have won for themselves a high place in the profession of Shiawassee county.

Dr. Marshall, of Durand, is one of the prominent physicians of central Michigan, and has met with exceptional success in his practice. His office is thoroughly equipped in every way, for the practice of his vocation. An excellent X-ray machine has recently been added to the office equipment. His ability in his profession is noticeable in the amount of consultation work which he does.

Our subject was born in Canada, in 1848, and came with his parents to the Wolverine state when three years of age. He attended the schools of Romeo and Armada and was graduated in the high school in the latter place in the year 1870. Dr. Marshall's school life was broken into by the war. In 1864 he enlisted in Company B, Thirtieth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, and was in active service, following the fortunes of his command, until the close of the war. After this he entered the office of Dr. F. M. Garlick, of Armada, where he studied for one year, and he then entered the Detroit Medical College, in which he was graduated in 1878. He began the practice of his chosen profession at Gaines, where for fifteen years he was one of the foremost physicians of the community. Here he built up a large practice and had an extensive ride. In 1892 the Doctor took two post-graduate courses at the Post-Graduate Medical School of Chicago, and in 1897 took one course in the Post-Graduate School of New York.

In 1893 Dr. Marshall came to Durand and established himself in his profession. Here he has built up a splendid practice and met with success on every hand. In 1893 he was elected surgeon general of the Union Veterans' Union, Department of Michigan, and for one year was honored with this office.

In the year 1876 Dr. Marshall was married to Miss Hester Ogden, of Armada. Mrs. Marshall was a daughter of Pendleton Ogden, who came with his parents from London, England, in 1819, and settled in New York. He died in Saginaw, Michigan, in 1864. The mother died at Armada, in 1891. Mrs. Marshall was a cousin to Ann Eliza Young, who was one of the "sealed" wives of Brigham Young, and who was at one time a noted lecturer throughout the United States against Mormonism. To Dr. and Mrs. Marshall one child, Nellie H., was born. She is married to J. H. Swineford and resides in Frankfort, Michigan. Mr. Swineford is an engineer on the Toledo and Ann Arbor railroad. Our subject is of mixed Irish and Scotch extraction, his father, Thomas G., having been a native of Ireland, while his mother, Isabella (Carr) Marshall, was a native of Scotland. Thomas G. Marshall died in Ontario, Canada, in 1898, and the mother of the Doctor died at Port Huron, Michigan, in 1855.

In fraternal relations Dr. Marshall is allied with the Masons and is counted as one of the prominent members of the order. He is also identified with the Detroit Mystic Shrine and the consistory of thirty-second degree Masonry in Grand Rapids.

Our subject has made his own way, having acquired his early education by hard work, as he went to school during the winter months and in the summer was engaged in whatever work he was able to find. He belongs to the class of "well read" men of to-day, and has in his possession a splendid library. He has in every way kept pace with the progress of his profession. In the early days of his profession he often had to make the trips to his patients on horseback or on foot, but this devotion to his work has been the means of winning for him the success which he now enjoys. Dr. Marshall has some valuable mining interests in the west, consisting of copper, gold and silver. Dr. Marshall experienced the great sorrow of his life in 'the loss of his devoted and faithful wife and companion, who passed to the life eternal on November 6, 1905. The Doctor had been mindful for some time that his wife had organic trouble of the heart, and both fully understood the possibilities, yet her sudden death was a great shock and bereavement. Together they had shared the joys and sorrows that are common to mortals. Mrs. Marshall was a woman of strong and genial personality and gracious presence, and she easily won for herself admiring and trusting friends. Her loss has left a great shadow on the once happy home. Mrs. Marshall had been for many years an esteemed member of the Congregational church. One has truthfully said: "The very memory of sorrow is a gentle benediction that broods over the household like the silence that comes after prayer. There is a blessing sent from God in every burden of sorrow." The floral offerings from friends spoke impressively of the esteem and love in which Mrs. Marshall was held by her friends and neighbors, and also testified to the deep sympathy felt for her afflicted husband. There is comfort in the thought down in this cold world of ours that "earth hath no sorrow that heaven cannot heal."

Top of Page

John Y. MARTIN

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 398

The future of our great commonwealth depends upon the stability and integrity of the young people of to-day, and among those who are contributing to the-general progress is the gentleman whose name introduces these paragraphs and whose life thus far has been crowned with success.

It has often been said that the live young men of any community are what keeps the blood of the place in circulation. The men who are well established in years and wealth are often content to sit back and enjoy the prosperity which they have so hardly earned in their younger days, and they are not so active and alive to the interests of the community, nor so ready to push with a good will any enterprise for the upbuilding of the town. To the younger man we must look for such aggressive action, and in such as our subject is Corunna and its vicinity rich.

John Y. Martin, the son of Eli and Sarah (Yerkes) Martin, was born in Caledonia township, Shiawassee county, in the year 1863. His father was born in the Empire state and came to this county and settled in Venice township in the year 1850.

Eli Martin was married to Sarah Yerkes in the year 1859, she being the daughter of Titus Yerkes, who belonged to that class of pioneers who gave the best years of their life to, the upbuilding of their adopted country. Eli Martin and his highly esteemed wife are now residents of Corunna, having retired from farming, in which they were engaged for many years, ten years ago, and they are enjoying the fruits of their early toil. To this worthy couple were born three children: F. S. Martin, who is a resident of Morrice, this county; Augusta, who is the wife of Ed. Adams of Detroit; and John Y., our honored subject.

John Y. Martin spent his boyhood as did other farmer lads of his time, in attending the district school and assisting in the work of the farm. He later attended the Corunna high school, where he finished in the year 1883. He then lived on a farm for a while and for one year was engaged in teaching in the district schools of the county. After this he clerked in a store at Mount Pleasant for one year.

John Y. Martin was united in marriage in 1890 to Miss Lillian Holley, daughter of Dr. D. C. Holley, of Vernon, who was an early settler of the county, having come here as early as 1836. Dr. Holley takes great pride in the fact that he was a member of the first class that matriculated in the medical department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor. It is interesting to know also that Dr. Holley's father, Ranson W. Holley, was a member of the building committee that built the old court house, and that in the year 1856 he was treasurer of his cqunty.

Mr. and Mrs. Martin became the parents of four children, one having died in 1898. Florence, Arthur and Homer are the joy of the home and give promise of useful and upright lives. Socially, our subject is closely allied with the Elks at Owosso, the Masonic blue lodge at Vernon, and the chapter and commandery at Corunna, being also a member of the Gleaners and Maccabees.

The Martin family for generations back have been stanch suporters of the Republican party, and all have been active in political affairs, also in social matters, as to the upbuilding of their community, being always willing to lend a helping hand and their means to the betterment of their town and county.

Our subject was justice of peace of Caledonia township, was three years treasurer of his township, and served eight terms as supervisor, filling these offices to the best of his ability and in a manner pleasing to the community which he was serving. He was elected county clerk in the year 1900 and is now serving his third term,-an evidence of the popularity of the man. He is reliable in every way and his path in life has been one of honor and uprightness and his many friends wish for him a continuation of the success which he has already experienced.

Top of Page

Gershom Woodruff MATTOON

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 399

Colonel Gershom W. Mattoon, a brave soldier and a widely known farmer of Shiawassee county, whose holdings are on section 9, in that township, is a native of the Empire state, having been born in Monroe county, New York, on the 12th of September, 1842. He is the son of Gershom Parker Mattoon and Nancy Lavina (Woodruff) Mattoon. His mother was a native of Morris county, New Jersey, born February 28, 1811, and she died May 7, 1896; his father, who was born in New York state November 9, 1806, died on the 23d of November, 1886. The latter was a painter by trade, but always lived upon a farm.

Our subject was of a family of nine children, six of whom were born in the east prior to the coming of his parents to Michigan, in 1846. A home was established in Vernon township, Shiawassee county, where the fainily remained until 1855, when they removed to Clinton county. There the father died. In the earlier years of his life he was a Whig. At the birth of the Republican party he united with that organization and was ever after loyal to its principles. In his earlier years lie was a member of the Presbyterian church, but later adopted more liberal Congregational views.

Of the children of Gershom P. and Nancy (Woodruff) Mattoon, six are living: George P., the eldest, also a soldier of the civil war, is a farmer, living in St. Johns, Clinton county; he was born July 3, 1832. Sarah C., born August 7, 1834, is the wife of Edmund Reynolds, of Shiawassee township. Nancy M., born February 3, 1837, is now Mrs. J. W. Hall, of Corunna. Harriet A., born February 15, 1841, married Wm. Sheriff, of Greenbush, Clinton county, who enlisted in the Union army in August, 1862, as a member of the Fifth Michigan Cavalry, and who died in the hospital, of typhoid fever, in February, 1864. Our subject was next in order of birth. Mary A., Mrs. Theron Gladden, was born October 14, 1845, and died December 25, 1873, being at the time of her death a resident of Shiawassee township. Oscar S., born October 28, 1849, died at the age of one year. Vincent S., born May 3, 1852, is an employe of the Ann Arbor car works, and is a resident of Owosso. Erastus J., born October 15, 1854, lives at St. Johns.

The subject of this sketch was educated in the district schools of Shiawassee township and public institutions of Corunna and Owosso. On the 23d of November, 1861, having then but lately entered his twentieth year, he enlisted, at St. Johns, Clinton county, in an organization known as the First United States Lancers. Its originator was a Canadian, and as the command proved to be an illegal concern, it was disbanded by the government. Our young patriot, however, was not to be balked in his purpose to go to the front in the Federal cause, and September 1, 1862, he reenlisted in the Sixth Michigan Cavalry.

Colonel Mattoon entered the service as a private and was promoted to corporal in May, 1864, and to sergeant in the following December. He participated in thirty-five engagements, the most important being the battle of Gettysburg. At the request of the publishers, Colonel Mattoon has given the following detailed acount of his personal service. This is a simple duty every soldier owes to himself, his family, and to posterity. This brief record of three active years of daring and doing with the Michigan cavalry brigade is one of which any man might justly feel a sense of pride. Colonel Mattoon says:

"The Sixth Michigan Cavalry, to which I belonged, reached Washington December 14, 1862, and immediately went into camp on Meridian Hill. I was soon afterward taken sick and sent to a hospital, where I remained for about two months, when I rejoined my command, in time to take part in doing picket duty around the defenses of Washington, with an occasional raid into the enemy's country for variety. This was the order of things until about the 25th of June, 1863, when the command broke camp, crossed the Potomac and started on what was called the Maryland campaign. We met the enemy for the first time on the 30th of June, at Hanover, Pennsylvania. I afterward participated with rhy company in the following engagements: Hunterstown, Pennsylvania, July 2; Gettysburg, July 3; Monterey, July 4; Cavetown, July 5; July 6; Boonsboro, Maryland, July 8; Hagerstown, July 11-in this engagement I received a severe gunshot wound, from a rebel bullet, fracturing my jaw, and incapacitating me for field service for five months. I was sent to the hospital at Annapolis, Maryland, where I remained until about the last of November, 1863, when, at my own request, I was returned to my regiment, in preference to being transferred to the veteran reserve corps, an organization formed from partially disabled soldiers for guard and camp duties in and about the defenses of Washington. I joined the command while in winter quarters at Stevensburg, Culpeper county, Virgania. The following winter was passed in doing picket and camp duty, with an occasional raid into the enemy's country. This was kept up until the last of February, 1864, when, as one of five thousand picked men from General Merritt's and Gregg's cavalry divisions, about two hundred of which were from the Sixth Cavalry, I took part in the celebrated Kilpatrick raid on Richmond. This was an attempt to liberate the Union soldiers confined in Libby prison. The expedition, though not a success, was very trying to both horse and rider, as about eighty miles were covered in two nights and one day. Nearly a month elapsed before the expedition rejoined the command at Stevensburg, the last of March. From this date until May 4 we were occupied in preparing for the spring campaign of 1864, which began on that date. The command in conjunction with the Army of the Potomac, pushed forward, crossing the Rapidan at Ely's Ford, marching on to Spottsylvania, where the enemy were strongly intrenched. On the 6th and 7th we were hotly engaged at the battle of the Wilderness, and later at Todd's Tavern. On the morning of the 9th our corps started on what is known as Sheridan's raid on Richmond, my regiment leading the column. I was one of ten men selected to act as an advance guard for the greater part of the day. At about sundown we came upon a rebel wagon train with guards having in charge about four hundred Federal prisoners on their way to Richmond, capturing fhe whole outfit. The command soon after arrived at Beaver Dam station, where we captured a large quantity of Confederate rations. On the 11th I was again in action, at Yellow Tavern, where several of my comlrades were killed and wounded. Among the loss on the Confederate side was the well-known General J. E. B. Stuart, who was killed. The engagements enumerated below followed in rapid succession: Meadow Bridge, Virginia, May 12; Hanover Court House, May 21; Hanover town, May 27; Haw's Shop, May 28; Baltimore Cross Roads, May 29; Old Church; May 30; Cold Harbor, May 31; Trevillian Station, June 11 and 12; Winchester, August 11; Front Royal, August 16; Leetown and Shepardstown, August 25; Beryville, September 3; Opequan and Winchester, September 19; Luray, Virginia, September 22; Port Republic, October 1; Mount Crawford, October 2; Woodstock, October 8; Toms Brook, October 9; Cedar Creek, October 19; Winchester, November 18; Madison Court House, December 24, closing for me the campaign of 1864.

"I was absent on furlough when the spring campaign of 1865 opened and, as the record was short, sharp and decisive, victory had perched upon the banners of the Union forces before I rejoined by command. I was present, however, and took part in the grand review at Washington, following the close of the Rebellion, after which the Michigan cavalry brigade was sent on an expedition to the far west, going by the way of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad and the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, landing in Leavenworth, Kansas, early in June. Here the command was given a new outfit, and on the 17th day of June, started on a march across the plains of Kansas and Nebraska; we arrived about the 28th of July at Platt's Bridge Station, a point on the overland route to California. The command had covered about one thousand, one hundred and fifty miles in forty-one days. The purpose of the expedition was to protect the thoroughfares from roving bands of Indians. This duty was performed until about the first of October, when we returned to Leavenworth, Kansas, where we were mustered out and honorably discharged, returning to our state and homes, every man for himself, happy in the thought that we had met and discharged the arduous duty of soldiers in a manner meeting the approbation of the AmeIican Republic."

During its term of service the Sixth Michigan Cavalry carried on its rolls of muster one thousand, six hundred and twenty-four officers and men. Its casualties figured up seven officers and ninety-five men killed in action; eighteen died of wounds, and two hundred and sixty-six from diseases. This gallant command, under the leadership of the brave and dashing Custer, won for itself an enviable reputation of never dying fame.

'Midst tangled roots that lined the wild ravine,
Where the fierce fight raged hottest through the day,
And where the dead in scattered heaps were seen,
Speechless in death they lay.

After the civil war our subject located in Clinton county, selecting for his labors one hundred and twenty acres of wild land. He resided there from 1866 to 1869, when he sold his property and removed to Shiawassee township. In the meantime he had married, and in the latter year went to reside on the farm owned by his wife's parents, working it on shares afterward purchasing it. The tract then consisted of about one hundred and twenty acres of land, partly cleared; he has since cleared the entire farm, remodeled the buildings, and erected others, and brought the entire homestead up to the modern standard of cultivation and mechanical conveniences. It is one of the pleasant rural homes of the county, and has been christened "Rockleigh Farm.

"For many years after the war of the rebellion Mr. Mattoon was a Republican; of late years he has not been a close adherent to any party, but has been independent in politics, as in many other things. He is not bound to any political or religious creed which interferes in any manner with his individual ideas of right and wrong. In short, he has been almost too independent to be a successful politician. He is, however, prominent in local military affairs, being Commander of the H. F. Wallace Post, Grand Army of the Republic, at Corunna, and colonel of the Shiawassee County Battalion. The latter organization is composed of soldiers of the county who have served in any war. It is not a secret organization. The members are not obliged to attend the neetings, the binding force being rather of a social nature, founded upon a common love of military affairs and comradeship.

Colonel Mattoon was married September 27, 1868, to Miss Agnes A. Lindley, who was born in Niagara county, New York, May 1, 1848, being a daughter of David A. and Charlotte (Sweet) Lindley. Father and daughter were natives of the same county, the birthday of the former being March 18, 1813, and the date of his death, January 12, 1895. Her mother also was born in Niagara county, New York; September 8, 1817, and died January 28, 1892. Both were descended from generations of agriculturists, the family coming west and settling in Livingston county in 1848. In the year 1852 they moved to the farm now in possession of Colonel Mattoon. Mr. and Mrs. Lindley lived upon the old homestead until ten years after Colonel Mattoon's marriage to their daughter, and then they removed to Shiawassee village.

Mrs. Mattoon was the eldest of three children. Her brother, Charles A. Lindley, was born October 6, 1844, and is a resident of Shiawassee township. Mercy E., who married Charles A. Lamb, was born April 29, 1849.

Colonel and Mrs. Mattoon are the parents of two children. Britton W., who was born November 20, 1869, married Carrie Hoisinzton. They are the parents of one child, Mildred, born May 28, 1898, and they reside on a portion of the homestead. Lottie L., now Mrs. Allen Goodall, was born June 27, 1874, and is living on the farm adjoining the old homestead on the west. Mr. Mattoon is a man of strong convictions, firm in his decisions, and actuated by the principles of right and justice.

Top of Page

Selden S. MINER

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 404

Selden S. Miner, at present circuit judge of the thirty-fifth judicial circuit of Michigan, was born in Livingston county, this state, June 5, 1854, and is a son of Ezra and Ann (Skidmore) Miner, natives of New York, who came to Michigan in the year 1836.

Patriot blood flows through the veins of Judge Miner and on this account he feels that he does, indeed, love more truly the country for which his ancestors suffered in past times. His father was born in Steuben county, New York, and his grandfather, also named Ezra, was born in Connecticut and took part in the war of 1812. He was a sailor on the high seas for twenty years and then settled on a farm in New York, after which he came to Michigan, spending his latter days with a son at Osceola, and dying at the age of eighty years. His father, Seth Miner, was likewise a native, of Connecticut, and was a Revolutionary soldier, having been taken prisoner early in the war and having been kept in prison for six years.

Our subject's father was a farmer and came to Michigan in 1836, locating in Hartland township, Livingston county, where he bought unimproved land and devoted himelf to its reclamation and cultivation. At different times he resided in Cohoctah, Conway and Handy townships, Livingston county. He was an extensive land-owner and a public-spirited citizen. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Ann Skidmore. She was born near Springwater, New York, and died in Livingston county, Michigan. The father died in Owosso, in June, 1903. Mrs. Miner was the daughter of Benjamin Skidmore, an early settler of Lapeer county, Michigan, where he located in 1836. He was a soldier in the war of 1812 and died at the age of ninety-two years.

Our subject was reared in Livingston county, where he secured his early educational discipline. At the age of seventeen years he entered the Corunna high school, in which he was graduated in 1875. Early in life Mr. Miner had felt a desire to make the law his profession; and he began its study at Ann Arbor and was admitted to the bar in 1887. The young lawyer initiated his practice at Corunna and was there engaged in the work of his profession until the spring of 1893, when he removed to Owosso, having since been counted one of the prominent members of the bar of this city. During our subject's residence in Corunna, he was chosen as mayor of that place for one term, was supervisor of the second ward and president of the school board.

June 5, 1879, Judge Miner was united in marriage to Miss Effie Jones, of Washtenaw county, and five children have come to bless their home: Willman; Maud; Harold, who graduates from the University of Michigan this spring and will then enter West Point; and Leon, a law student at the University of Michigan. Mrs. Miner is a member and worker of the Congregational church and is one of its prominent members.

The enterprise and public spirit of Judge Miner make him a prominent man in Republican circles. He has always been a delegate to the county conventions and generally to the state conventions. While a resident of Corunna, he was prosecuting attorney from 1888 to 1892, and since becoming. a resident of Owosso he has been chosen by his fellow townsmen to represent them in the official capacity of city attorney, which position he capably and ably filled for two years. He was elected circuit judge of the thirty-fifth judicial circuit, comprising Shiawassee and Livingston counties, in the spring of 1905.

Judge Miner is closely identified with the Masonic order, in which he is actively interested. He has ever contributed substantial aid to good causes, and aided in the promotion of measures and enterprises tending to the betterment of society and the advancement of education. The profession which he has chosen has ever received his close attention, and in every walk of life he has played a manly part.

Top of Page

Charles H. MITCHELL

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 405

The subject of this sketch is fortunate in being a member of one of the prominent families of Shiawassee county, where he was born on the 12th of July, 1862.

It will be impossible within the compass of the present volume to give a complete history of the life of his father, Newcomb Mitchell. He was one of the prominent and thrifty citizens of this county, and in his home his father, who was of Irish extraction, passed the last few years of his life. Polly (Howe) Mitchell, mother of Newcomb Mitchell, died in the year 1873. Up to the age of twenty years Newcomb Mitchell worked at his trade, that of mason, in various cities, sending to his parents the money he earned. In 1848 he came to Shiawassee county and settled upon the ninety acres of land which he occupied until the time of his death.

January 1, 1856, he was united in marriage with Eliza Phelps, and it was by their united efforts that the estate was converted into one of the most handsome and comfortable in the county.

Their union was blessed with eight children. The first, Adella, born May 21, 1857, is the wife of Seth Newell, of Owosso. The second is the subject of this sketch. The third, Frank, born February 15, 1864, lives in Owosso. The fourth, Rose May, born July 19, 1867, is the wife of William Bently, of Shiawassee township. The fifth, Arthur A., born March 12, 1869, died at the age of twentysix years. The sixth, Lena, born April 25, 1871, is the wife of Charles Sager, of Bennington. The seventh, Edna E., born October 1, 1873, married William Fenner, and both are deceased. The eighth, Effie F., was born August 2, 1879, and is now living with the mother in Owosso.

The subject of this sketch lived at home until he had arrived at the age of twenty years. He attended the district school of Bennington township and thus acquired his early education.

At the age of twenty years he was united in marriage to Etta Beardsley. She lived sixteen years after their marriage, and bore him one child, Claud, who is at present working in Flint, Michigan.

March 6, 1900, Mr. Mitchell married Florence Strong, daughter of Rev. Frederick Strong, of Owosso. She is a sister of Arthur P. Strong, whose biography appears in the present volume. One child has blessed this union, Mildred, who was born March 6, 1901.

When Mr. Mitchell started for himself his father purchased for him eighty acres of land, on which he now resides, in section 19, Bennington township. The land was partly improved, having a log house and small farm buildings. When his home was broken up by the death of his first wife he went to the village of Laingsburg, where he conducted a meat market for the period of one year. He spent the winter of 1898 in California and after his return to Michigan spent four years upon the old farm, working the place and looking after the interests of his mother.

All the buildings on his farm at the present time have been erected by our subject himself. In 1904 he replaced the log house with a new frame dwelling, which is in keeping with his improved financial condition. He has purchased, in addition to the land he already owned, forty acres of land, making him a fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres.

In politics Mr. Mitchell is a Republican. He has held various town offices, and commands the respect of all who know him.

Top of Page

James H. MITCHELL

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 406

James H. Mitchell was born in Bradford, Canada, June 5, 1853. His father was born in the state of New York, and died at Springfield, Oakland county, Michigan, at the age of seventy-six years. The mother of our subject was born in Canada, where she was married and where the family thereafter resided until about the year 1863, when they moved to Oakland county, Michigan, settling in Springfield township. The father bought forty acres of well improved land and there the parents resided until their death, the mother dying at the age of sixty-one years. The parents were members of the Baptist church, and the father was always a stanch Republican, but never aspired to office. In the family there were eight children, of whom the subject of this sketch is the fourth.

The oldest, Henry Mitchell, now resides at Fentonville, Genesee county, Michigan. He has been married twice. His first wife was a Miss Robinson, and to them w~ere born the following named children: Alfred, William, Mary, Ernest and Edwin Howard. His second wife was Miss Emma Bush, and to them were born two children, Charles and one who died in infancy. The second child was a son, Ozias, who lives in Midland county, and who is a carpenter by trade. The maiden name of his wife was Johnson. There are no children. The third child, Laura, is now the wife of James Canada, of Bay City, Michigan, her husband being an engineer in a hotel. They have three children: George, William and Walter. The fourth child, Martha, who is now deceased, married Mr. Mero, of Chesaning, Michigan, and they had three children. The fifth child died in infancy. The sixth child, James H. Mitchell, is the subject of this sketch. The seventh child, Mary, is the wife of George Chase, of Ludington, Michigan. He is an engineer. They have two children. The eighth and youngest child, Wesley, lives at Holly, Michigan. He married Miss Ellen Jackson. They have two children. His occupation is that of blacksmith.

The subject of this sketch received his education in the district schools of Springfield township, Oakland county, Michigan, and and lived with his parents until he was sixteen years of age, when he started in life for himself, working for several years on a farm, by the month. He was married November 10, 1880, to Mary A. Flower, who was born in Macomb county, Michigan, June 28, 1850. Her father, Alanson Flower, who was born in New York April 22, 1810, died in Lenox, July 24, 1876, and her mother, Angeline (Collins) Flower, who was born in Massachusetts, March 12, 1810, died February 16, 1888. The parents were married in New York state in 1835, and two years later they came to the state of Michigan, settling at Lenox, Macomb county. They bought two hundred acres of government land. This land they cleared and improved in that early day and there made their home until the death of the father, when the mother went to live with her son, Edwin, in Oakland county, where she died. They had four children; the oldest, who is dead, was named Liddie. She became the wife of James Baird, and lived on a farm in Lenox township, Macomb county. They had three children, two of whom are living, Pearl and Walter. The second child, Norman, is now dead. He married Betsy Bates, enlisted in the Fourth Michigan Infantry, in 1864, and died in the hospital, of fever, in 1865. They had no children. The third child, Edwin, is living in Highland, in Oakland county. He married Sarah Gleason, and they have no children. The fourth child is the wife of the subject of this review. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell have one child, Floyd, who was born September 2, and who lives at home with his parents.

After his marriage, Mr. Mitchell purchased eighty acres of improved land in Oakland county, where he resided about four years. He then sold out and rented land until the year 1887, when he came to Shiawassee county, purchasing an eighty-acre farm, on which he now resides. The farm, which lies on section 10, Hazelton township, was only partly improved, about one-half being under cultivation. The buildings consisted of an old log house and barn. In 1890 he built a fine large barn and in 1892 a beautiful eight-room frame house. He has otherwise improved the farm and it is now one of the best in the locality. In politics he is a liberal Republican, with prohibition sentiments. He is a member of the Methodist church, of the Grange, and of the Maccabees, in which last he was two years chaplain.

Top of Page

William H. MITCHELL

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 407

It is a happy provision of nature that youth cannot peer into the future and see the obstacles to be met with in life's pathway, else we fear there would not be, as a general thing, much incentive to proceed on the journey! In the words of the poet Longfellow, then,

How beautiful is youth! how bright it gleams
With its illusions, aspirations, dreams!
Book of Beginning, Story without End,
Each maid a heroine and each man a friend!

How truthfully the picture is expressed! It is an interesting fact that a great majority of the farmers of the country began the battle of life when mere lads and with but limited educations. Indeed, it is doubtful if the average sons of the average farmers -were to be "sifted" through various grades of the various departments of our high schools and colleges until they reached the age of twenty-one or twentv-five years, even one of them would become a farmer. But be this as it may, the subject of this sketch began to "bump up" against the world at the age of thirteen years, when he commenced to work on a farm by the month. He was born in Ontario, Canada, 25 June 13, 1859, and is a son of Elisha and Barbara (Huntsberger) Mitchell, both of whom are natives of Ontario, and both of whom died in Rush township, Shiawassee county, Michigan, at the respective ages of sixty-eight and sixty-four years. Elisha Mitchell was of Irish descent, and his wife had the blood of the Pennsylvania Dutch coursing through her veins. They were married in Canada.

In 1880 our subject came to Michigan and settled on eighty acres, in Rush township, which he had bought two years previously, and upon which he had caused some improvements to be made. When his parents remove here subsequently from Canada, he let his father have the farm. They built a frame house and log stable, and his parents lived there until their death. The farm is still owned by younger members of the family. Elisha Mitchell was a Republican, but was not prominent in politics, and never held office. In religious belief he and his wife were Mennonites, who are not common in this country. They are protestants, but reject infant baptism and baptize adults only on a profession of faith, and practice non-resistance and abstinence from oaths. They thus combine some of the leading principles of the Baptists, with some of the distinctive views of the Friends. Our subject's father was one of a family of seven children, three of whom are now living, -Richard in Rush township, Andrew in Middlebury and Nelson in Fairfield. His mother was the first of a family of seven.

October 12, 1882, William H. Mitchell was married to Eliza Jane Scott, who was born on the farm on which she and her husband now live and which Mr. Mitchell bought of Humphrey Scott, his wife's father, who was one of the pioneers of Rush township, having located there when it was a wilderness and having cleared the land and erected buildings, making the farm a splendid property. The old gentleman is still alive and lives in Burton village, aged seventy-six years. The maiden name of his wife was Hannah Ling, and she died about twenty-six years ago.

Our subject was the second in a family of eight children, six of whom are still living. Jacob is single, and resides on the old farm in Rush; William H. is the subject of this review; Amos, who died at the age of twenty years; John, who lives in Rush township, married Marilla Shaw, and they have two children; Samuel lives at Colon, Michigan, married Cora Miller; Mary married Fred Downey, of Rush township; Agnes is unmarried and lives with her brother, Jacob; Menasa, who lives on the old farm, married Erma, daughter of John Crane.

Mrs. Mitchell comes from a family of four children, all of whom are living. James is a resident of Idaho; Mrs. Mitchell was the next in order of birth; Libbie married George Coakes, of Owosso township; and Ada married Ed. Lusk, of Owosso.

As previously stated, Mr. Mitchell purchased his present farm of one hundred and ten acres from his father-in-law, in 1904. For ten years previously he had worked land on shares. For several years before securing his new home it had been rented, and naturally it had run down. He is rapidly changing the condition of things, however, and hopes to erect some buildings in the near future. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell have two children: Harvey, born September 20, 1883, lives in North Dakota and is single; and Ray, born March 9, 1897, is at home. Mr. Mitchell affiliates with the Republican party, but has never held office. He belongs to the Maccabees at Owosso and the Modern Woodmen of America at Henderson. Mr. Mitchell combines all that goes to make up a good citizen, a kind father and a popular member of the community in which he is now a worthy factor.

Top of Page

Frank G. MORRICE

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 408

But one man in one hundred makes a success of the business which he chooses for his life's occupation. His success is due to superior judgment and fitness for the work in which he is engaged and in his courage to ad vance undaunted through difficulties that come to all men.

Frank G. Morrice was born in Shiawassee county on the 12th day of January, A. D. 1844. He is a son of William Morrice, who was born in Scotland March 3, 1800, and who died in Shiawassee county July 7, 1873. Elizabeth (Cooper) Morrice, mother of our subject, was born in Scotland in 1803, and died in Shiawassee county in 1892. The parents were married in Scotland and came to America in 1836. After two years spent as a day laborer William Morrice purchased one hundred and sixty acres of wild, unimproved land in Perry township. He spent the remainder of his days upon this farm, improving it and purchasing more land until he became one of the largest land-holders in Shiawassee county. A few years before his death he sold his land to his sons, and retired. He died at the age of seventy-three years. Politically he was a Republican, but never consented to run for any office of importance, though often urged to do so. Both he and his wife were active members of the Presbyterian church. They had five children. Alexander, the eldest, served during the entire period of the civil war and died of consumption contracted during his term of service in the army. The other children are William G., mentioned elsewhere in this volume; John A., who died in 1857; Francis G., subject of this sketch; and Mary, wife of Warren Manning, who died in 1870.

The subject of this review lived at home until he was twenty-five years of age. His early education was acquired in the district schools and he afterwards took a commercial course at the Detroit Business College. He was married to Irene M. Walters August 11, 1869. She was born in Lodi township, Washtenaw county, August 10, 1847. Her father and mother were David and Emaline (Wheeland) Watters, who were among the pioneers of Washtenaw county, where they were farmers. Mrs. Morrice is one of eight children, of whom Giles, Willis, Delbert and Elmer are now living at Morrice.

Mr, Morrice purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land where he now lives, in section 23, Bennington township, in 1869. The land at that time was only partly improved, with no buildings worthy of mention. This beautiful farm, with its large and commodious house and good barns, offers the most fitting tribute that can be made to a successful man.

In 1892 Mr. Morrice erected his dwelling house, which is the last, but not all of his attractive improvements, and he now occupies one of the finest farms in Shiawassee county, consisting of two hundred and thirty acres of land, seventy acres having been added since his original purchase.

Mr. and Mrs. Morrice have four children: Amy, who was born December 22, 1870, is now the wife of G. S. Field, of the law firm of Barber and Field, of Detroit; Maud, who was born October 1, 1875, is at present engaged as drawing teacher in the Owosso and Corunna public schools; Ward, born June 6, 1886, is single and lives at home; and Mable, who was born September 1, 1880, died January 17, 1891.

Mr. Morrice, like his father, has always been a Republican. He has been honored by his party with responsible and honorable offices, and the length of time which he has served in office is the best testimonial of the fitness of the man for the duties imposed upon him. For twelve years he has been supervisor of his township. He has been town clerk, and held the highest office in the county for. four years, that of sheriff. He and wife are members of the Congregational church. Mr. Morrice is a Mason, being a member of the blue lodge at Perry, of the chapter at Owosso and the commandery of Knights Templar at Corunna. He makes a business of general farming, and has the respect and confidence of all who know him.

Top of Page

William G. MORRICE

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 411

In writing biographical sketches of the various citizens of distinction in Perry township, Shiawassee county, Michigan, it will be a pleasure to the reader to have included the name of the son of the prominent pioneer, after whom the village of Morrice was named.

William G. Morrice was born in Perry township, Shiawassee county, Michigan, on the 9th of September, 1839. He is the oldest son of William and Elizabeth (Cooper) Morrice. The parents were born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Wm. Morrice, Sr., came to the United States in the year 1836. The year following he sent for his affianced wife and they were married in Detroit, Michigan. He worked on the Shiawassee mill race for the period of two years and then moved to Perry township, where he located a farm of one hundred and sixty acres. The man after whom the village of Morrice was named slept upon the ground in his rude shanty while the wolves howled about the door. The howls of wild beasts could not frighten him, neither could the fear of famine. He traveled sixty miles to Pontiac for his flour and meal and continued the work of subduing the forest that had stood since its creation. In 1862 he bought the forty-five acres of land on section 2, where subject now lives.

There were four children of the family, the oldest being the subject of this sketch. The second, John A., was born July 28, 1841. He was united in marriage to Elizabeth Walker, in 1868, and to them were born two children, Agnes and Dunston. Agnes married Earl Rann, and they have one son,Morrice; Dunston married Kittie Cook, and they have one son, Leon. John A. Morrice died in 1901. His wife survives him and lives in the village of Morrice. The third son is Francis G., a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume. Mary J., the fourth, married Warren Manning, of Corunna, and to them have been born two children: Effie, who was born in January, 1869, married a Mr. Berry, of Bay City; and George was born December 24, 1870. Mr. and Mrs. Manning are both deceased.

Our subject received his early school training in the district schools of Perry township. He knows what pioneer life means. He was permitted to attend school a short time during the most severe weather of the winter months, but the greater part of the year was spent at hard labor on the farm.

At the age of twenty-one he started for himself, working three years for his father. He then came into possession of the forty-five acres of partly improved land, on section 2, Perry township. This land he has improved, building himself a commodious dwelling house and three fine large barns. His business ability and industry are best shown by the fact that from time to time he has added to his original farm until at the present time he is the owner of four hundred and eighteen acres of good land, on section 2.

In the year 1860 Mr. Morrice was united in marriage to Ella, daughter of George and Harriet (Mathew) Smith. She was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, and came to America with her parents in the year 1854. Her father is one of the old and respected settlers of Perry township. To our subject and his wife have been born seven children, as follows: Eva B., born in 1861, died when seventeen years of age. Lena E., born in 1863, is the wife of George Winegar, a Perry township farmer. They own the old Moryice homestead, and have four children,-Clare, George, Helen, and Mary. Mary Edith married Dr. I. W. Norris, of Corunna, and they have one son, William. Ethel May is the wife of James Hubbard, of Williamston, Michigan. Lillian married M. Rann, in 1896. He is engaged in the mercantile business in Perry. They have one daughter, Marian. Bessie married George McKay, of Morrice. They have one son, named Morrice. William H., the only son, a student at the Michigan Agricultural College, is also assisting his father in carrying on the home farm.

Mr. and Mrs. Morrice have given each of their daughters a college education, each having diplomas from either Olivet or Alma college. The family are esteemed members of the Presbyterian church at Morrice.

Top of Page

Reuben H.B. MORRIS

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 412

Mr. Morris, who has been a resident of Shiawassee township for a period of fifty-four years, is proprietor of a fine farm, in sections 13 and 24, in the township named, and after a test of more than half a century is pronounced by the hundreds with whom he has come in contact as one of the most able and honorable men in the community. He was born in Porter, Niagara county, New York, on the 27th of September, 1826, and is a son of Joseph and Maria (Shelly) Morris. His father was a native of Monmouth county, New Jersey, and in early life was a carpenter and joiner, but later bought the farm in Niagara county, two miles from Youngstown, which was the birthplace of our subject. They were among the first settlers on the so-called Holland Purchase, and there passed the balance of their days. The husband died at the age of seventy years; his wife survived him for many years, dying in August, 1889, at the advanced age of ninety-three years. The mother of our subject was born in Essex county, New Jersey, and came of a family noted for the tenacity with which its members clung to life. Her father had entered his one hundred and third year before he gave up the fight, and others of the family have lived to patriarchal ages.

This venerable mother brought fourteen children into the world, two of whom died in infancy. Those who reached maturity were: Levi; Ellen; Samuel, who resides in Shiawassee township; Sarah Jane, a resident of New York; our subject; Mary; Lucy; Frank, on the old New York farm; Joseph, who lives in Vernon; Roxanna; James; and Oscar, the last named living in Morrill.

Reuben H. B. Morris attended district school, and worked upon the parental farm until he was twenty-two years of age, when for two years he rented a piece of land near the family homestead. In 1854 he removed to Shiawassee township and carried on a farm which he rented, a few miles south of Bancroft. In the spring of 1856 he rented the farm of Mrs. Hannah M. Wright, the widow of Edward Wright, an Ohio man who had settled in Michigan over twenty years before, but had gone to California a number of years prior to that date and had died there in 1854, while engaged in mining ventures. On October 6, 1856, Mr. Morris married the widow, whose maiden name was Hannah M. Harder. Her father was Dr. Nicholas P. Harder, a pioneer physician of Shiawassee county. Dr. Harder's first wife was Margaret Snyder, who died when Mrs. Morris was seven years of age. He later married Sarah Purvis. By her first marriage Mrs. Morris had two sons, Charles and Marion, both residents of Owosso. Mr. Morris bought their interests in the homestead, but, on account of failing health, he was obliged to leave the farm for a number of years, and engaged in business in Vernon. He there opened a meat market and also dealt in live stock and provisions. He erected a residence in Vernon, for which he soon paid out of the proceeds of his business, in conducting which he showed remarkable shrewdness and foresight, considering that he had enjoyed little experience in trade. With the improvement of his health he spent considerable time upon the farm, the original of which was one hundred and fifty-six acres. Much of this he improved; he built a comfortable home on a commanding site, erected large barns for his crops and live stock, and engaged quite extensively in buying stock and shipping it to Buffalo. He continued this profitable combination of farming and business until within comparatively recent years.

Mr. and Mrs. Morris have been blessed with six children, as follows: Nellie is Mrs. Andrew Huff, of Bancroft; Edward is a resident of Genesee county; Frank R. resides in Golden, Colorado; Denver lives in North Dakota; Donabell is Mrs. Christopher Matthews, of Durand; and Maggie married Milton Eastwood, of Genesee county. Both Mr. and Mrs. Morris are members of and active workers in the Methodist Episcopal church. It should be added that our subject is a Republican and has served as constable for a period of fourteen years. Although he has already passed the Biblical age of three score years and ten, by nearly a decade, and his health has not been of the best, his temperate habits and well balanced disposition may long keep him with his hundreds of friends who admire him for his unpretentious strength of character.

Top of Page

George MORTIMORE

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 413

Among the more prominent citizens whom England bequeathed to Michigan and Shiawassee county, none is more worthy of consideration in this collection of pioneer sketches than is George Mortimore, now deceased. He was born in Devonshire, England, February 14, 1835, and died on his farm, in section 26, Antrirn township, in September, 1901. When eighteen years of age our subject came to America, locating near Guelph, Canada, where he subsequently bought ninety acres of timbered land, upon which he built a log house, and in time he converted the property into a good farm. He eventually sold this and removed to Flint, Michigan, then in mourning over the death of Abraham Lincoln, who had been assassinated but a few days previously. Before leaving Canada, however, or, rather, when he was twenty-five years old, he married Elizabeth Barton, who was born in England, May 7, 1842. He bought sixty acres of land near Flint and lived, there two years, when he sold the property and removed to Antrim tovnship, where he secured one hundred and twenty acres, eighty acres of which were improved, being provided with a smal frame house and barn. He cleared the rest of the farm and bought forty acres more, making one hundred and sixty in all. It is now a well improved farm and was owned by him at the time of his death; his widow still owns the property. Some twentyfour years ago Mr. Mortimore built a fine frame house, which contains ten rooms; also, two large barns and several other buildings. His father, George Mortimore, Sr., came to America when about fifty years of age and was a local preacher. Our subject was one of seven children. His brother John came to this country some twenty years before he did and bought land. The wife of our subject is a daughter of Henry and Hannah (House) Barton, natives of England. They came to America when Mrs. Mortimore was seven years old and settled on a farm near Guelph, Canada. They afterward came to Michigan and lived in Flint, where the mother died. The father passed away at Fentonville, Michigan. Seven children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Mortimore: Elizabeth is the wife of Elmer Ellsworth and they live on a farm in Antrim; John is single and lives at home; Mary is the wife of Henry Howard and they live on a farm in Antrim; William lives on a farm in Shiawassee county; George lives near Bancroft; Fred and Frank remain with their mother on the old homestead.

Mr. Mortimore was a Republican and was township treasurer for two years. He was also a school officer for several years. Though not a communicant, he attended the Methodist Episcopal church, to which his wife belongs. For several years prior to his death he was in poor health, and within this time returned to his native country, thinking the change would improve him; but this resulted in no benefit. He was a very successful farmer and is highly spoken of by his friends and neighbors. He therefore died leaving a good name and a valuable property as an inheritance to his family.

Top of Page

Charles B. MUNSON

The Past and Present of Shiawassee County, Michigan - Historically - Together with Biographical Sketches of many of its Leading Citizens And Illustrious Dead
The Michigan Historical Publishing Association, Lansing, Michigan
Page 414

Charles B. Munson, the subject of this sketch, has been a respected resident of Fairfield township, Shiawassee county, since his birth, which here occurred March 30, 1855. His father, George B. Munson, was born in the state of Ohio August 10, 1824, and came to the state of Michigan in 1853, purchasing one hundred and twenty acres of land from the government. He shipped his goods by water to Detroit, and drew them with a team from there to Fairfield township, there being at that time no railroads in this part of the state. Five families constituted the entire population of Fairfield township at that time and in 1856, when the township was organized, at the home of Henry Stebbins, he furnished the dinner for the voters,-then twelve in number. He held office in that early day and was one of the leading men of the community, possessing the courage and indomitable will necessary to cope with and subdue the difficulties of pioneer life. He died in the township which he helped to organize and develop,-on the 18th day of September, 1891.

Our subject's mother, Zelinda (Peck) Munson, was born in the state of New York, August 29, 1827, and died in Fairfield township, July 11, 1903. She shared the hardships of her husband and lived to see the forest give place to the field, and her sons and daughters grow up to be honorable men and women. There were five of the children: Almira, born June 30, 1848, is the widow of Beardley Bennett and at present is living with our subject; William, born in 1850, died 1852; Charles B. was the next in order of birth; Edwin R., born January 14, 1863, is living at Ovid; Emma, wife of Albert VanDusen, was born February 7, 1866, and is living at Ovid.

Charles B. Munson was united in marriage with Sara Dodge, September 15, 1875. She was born September 29, 1855, and died December 15, 1900. She was a daughter of William and Amanda (Shoat) Dodge. Her father was born in Vermont and her mother in Canada. Her father was one of the pioneers of Gratiot county, Michigan, moving there in 1857. He died the following year, and her mother then moved with the family to Shiawassee county where she died. Mrs. Munson was the fourth of five children. William died in Minnesota; Charles is living at Elsie, Clinton county; Lucinda is the wife of David McCarty, of Fairfield, township; and Francis died in infancy.

At the age of twenty-one, Mr. Munson purchased from his father fifty-eight acres of land upon which he now lives, in section 29, Fairfield township. The land was partly cleared when he purchased it, and he has not only succeeded in reclaiming the remainder but has also erected fine buildings thereon, having one of the best barns in the township. He has purchased forty acres of adjoining land, making him a fine farm of ninety-eight acres. He is a man who has made his own way in the world, starting for himself when young and acquiring his property by honest earnest industry. He has two children, twins, who were born April 17, 1882. They are G. Earle and Merle. G. Earle married Bertha Herrington, in August, 1902, and has one child, Algertha, born March 27, 1903. Merle married Gertrude Altoff, in July, 1903. They have one child, Percy, born February 5, 1904.

Mr. Munson adheres to the party of his father and is a Democrat. He has been honored by the party in the township in which he lives, having been elected supervisor, for seven years. He was also town treasurer for four years. In 1904 he was placed in nomination by his party as their candidate for county treasurer but was defeated, scarcely a Democrat in the state being elected. He is a member of the Baptist church at Elsie. He has done much for his township and for the county, and well merits the uniform esteem which his neighbors and the citizens of the county in general accord.him.

Top of Page

This information is made available to the public for non-commercial purposes.

This page was last updated Saturday, 20-Jun-2009 16:20:08 MDT

Home page tab
Copyright 2008-2016, Shiwawassee County MIGenWeb