|HOME||Bios & Families||Cemeteries||Census||Resources||History||Libraries||Military||Obituaries||Photos||Surnames||Towns-Townships||Vital Records|
Dean's Mills - 1875
From the History of Ionia and Montcalm Counties by John S. Schenck - 1881:
The first saw mill in the township was built by G. L. Dean in the fall of 1865, and commenced sawing the following winter. The one now stanting (in 1881) is the fourth on this site, three others having been burned.
In 1868, John Hitchcock opened a drygoods store near this mill, which was purchased the following year by William M. Thomas, who has since built a grist mill in the south part of Evergreen township.
Dean's Mills appears to have been located about 2 1/2 miles west of Vickeryville at the intersection of Sessions and Town Hall roads. See the 1875 Bushnell Township Map on the township site.
Contributed by Gerry Christiansen
|If you have additions or corrections please contact Paula Johnson
Copyright © 1996-2017 - Montcalm County MIGenWeb
These electronic pages (or any portions thereof), including GRAPHICS & PHOTOS may NOT be copied, saved, or reproduced
in any format for presentation or publication by individuals, organizations, newspapers, etc. (all are copyrighted).
Current County Coordinator: Paula Johnson (c) 2017
Previous content & design by: Gerry Christiansen (c) 2007-2016
Kevin Everingham (c) 2003-2007, Kathleen Rodegeb (c) 2000-2002, Dave Wheeler (c)1998-2000
Beth Wills (c)1996-1997